MisterFweem's Reviews > Post-Capitalist Society

Post-Capitalist Society by Peter F. Drucker

Aug 30, 10

Read from August 19 to 30, 2010

Oh, these futurists. Or present-ists. Maybe that's the best made-up word to use to describe Peter Drucker and his "Post-Capitalist Society." Lots to think about in this book. Lots that needs updating, frankly. Though this was written in a 1990s perspective, it's clear that enough has changed in the past 20 years that if Drucker were alive, he'd still be writing about these things.

I'll be honest and say this is a book I'll have to read again to really understand the implications of what he's writing about here. He lays out a lot of recommendations for government and schools, with a sprinkling of advice for businesses, on what they need to improve their leverage of knowledge. It's heartening to see that I'm doing some of what he advocates -- continuing my education beyond an undergraduate degree -- and working to gain an understanding of other knowledges. It's also good to see that the university I may or may not be teaching at (one bonehead English class, online) is taking an approach similar to what he advocates for education.

But there's still a lot out there that not a lot of people are doing, and certainly not doing in the arena of politics and making government work more efficient (and I can say that since I am a government worker). Anyway, a good read, and one I'll have to read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Post-Capitalist Society.