Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)'s Reviews > Heat Wave

Heat Wave by Richard Castle

Aug 24, 2010

bookshelves: media-tie-in, police-procedural, part-of-a-series
Read from August 19 to 21, 2010

Nikki Heat, the newest character from acclaimed writer Richard Castle, is a tough New York detective saddled with an annoying magazine writer by the name of Jameson Rook. Pulitzer Prize-winning Rook is writing an article about New York's finest and through his friendship with the mayor managed to pull enough strings to get permission to follow the exploits of Heat and her team of top detectives as they work the case of a real estate tycoon who took a header off his balconey. Amidst a record-breaking heat wave in the city, Heat must navigate the seemingly unconnected crimes of an assault on the tycoon's trophy wife, the theft of a multi-million-dollar art collection, and a second murder, all the while sifting through the many suspects who had something to gain from each crime. Not to mention the spark of attraction she feels towards Rook, despite, or perhaps because of, his charmingly irritating ways. Which will combust first, the city or Heat and Rook's chemistry?

Okay, so substitute all the character names from the t.v. show Castle for the characters in this book and you have an episode of the show, pretty much. As I was reading, I could see Nathan Fillion as Rick Castle as Jameson Rook interacting with Stana Katic as Kate Beckett as Nikki Heat. Is that a bad thing? Well, if you enjoy Castle as much as I do, then no, it's not a bad thing. What we have with Heat Wave is an inoffensive police procedural mystery with a marginal amount of blood and violence (just enough to get the job done), only a little bit of sex (but nothing graphic--what a shock), and no cursing (which is an even bigger shock), which makes for a nice change. Is it realistic? No. Is it fun and fluffy book, enjoyable and easy to read? Yes. Am I looking forward to the next Nikki Heat novel by "Richard Castle"? Hell yes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat Wave.

08/19/2010 page 29