Katy's Reviews > How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines

How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Aug 26, 10

bookshelves: 2010, heavy, how-to, nonfiction, own, school
Recommended for: older people...definitely NOT high school students
Read from August 19 to 24, 2010, read count: 1...and ONLY 1

This book was every bit as dry and unhelpful as I expected, I'm sorry to say. Although the book claims itself to be "Lively and Entertaining" and "unpretentious," it is the exact oposite of all of these things.

Thomas C. Foster himself seems like a nice guy. He makes a few entertaining remarks, and quite a few interesting observations. He obviously makes an effort to write something helpful. However, in my opinion, the strategies and information outlined in this book are elementary...many of them, I learned back in tenth grade. I was expecting more complicated, in-depth stuff. Disappointing.

As a personal note, I felt a bit lost in this book because I had read none of the examples that Foster included. I'm pretty sure the only ones I got were "Daisy Miller" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," and perhaps a few of the short stories. Not too sophisticated, I admit.

Also, I was really irritated that along with assuming that everyone who reads "How to Read Literature Like a Professor" has read all of the same literature as he has, Foster consistently gives away the ending to every work that he mentions. This is frustrating, especially since I have a good deal of them bought and patiently waiting on my nightstand to be read. Thanks, Thomas C. Foster. That's $40 wasted.

All in all, nothing fantastic, like all the English teachers claim, just a boring book filled with unhelpful examples and rambling. Don't buy this one for the $14...get it from the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Read Literature Like a Professor.