Lisa (Harmonybites)'s Reviews > Practical Magic

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

Aug 19, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, fantasy, literary-fiction, romance, ultimate-reading-list, favorites, novels, fiction, ebooks
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from August 18 to 19, 2010, read count: 1

I liked this from the start and by the end loved it. The perfect feel good book if you're feeling blue. The novel creates its own unique world that could be described as urban fantasy or magical realism. The story concerns the Owens family. At the novel's start, two little Owens girls, Sally and her sister Gillian, are living with their aunts. The entire town shuns the girls since Owens women have been seen as witches in the New England town for generations. Both grow up and breakaway from the town, Sally settling with her own two girls, Antonia and Kylie in Long Island.

The style is marvelous--omniscient point of view done with a light, sure touch with passages of beauty and perfectly paced. I can't recall any part of this book that ever dragged and Hoffman has the gift of making you fall in love with her characters--even ones that don't seem at all appealing at first. The plotting is great too. A small detail on one page comes back to bite about 140 pages later. Stupid things characters do actually have consequences they learn from. And I love how love figures into this--both familial and romantic.

I could criticize the novel for it's bolt out of the blue romances--but I don't have the heart to. It fits somehow with the way the book is permeated with magic, and the book left me smiling at the world.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Practical Magic.