Caroline's Reviews > The Charming Quirks of Others

The Charming Quirks of Others by Alexander McCall Smith

Apr 02, 11

bookshelves: cozy-mystery, nook, read-in-2011
Read from April 01 to 02, 2011

I'm really feeling like this series is at a stand-still, and am getting increasingly bored with it. Luckily these are super fast reads, but it's been a year and I still felt fed up with Isabel's antics with her young lover before going in to this.

I feel like we've been here before--Isabel spends quite a bit of time in here thinking that Jamie might be unfaithful, although luckily not as much as in some of the previous novels. It's understandable that she'd be insecure about the relationship at times, but having this theme so heavily brought up in each book in the series is really getting old.

Still, the main thing I'm enjoying about this series is her musing about the world. There are some interesting insights, and while the plot in here was weak, she had some good thoughts. I just wish McCall Smith had spent more time with the actual mystery in here, and less time on the romance. This is one of those times I'm really glad my library has been buying eBooks fast--I'd have been extra disappointed if I'd shelled out the cash on this one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Charming Quirks of Others.

04/01/2011 page 1