Michael's Reviews > In the Night Kitchen

In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: 1970s, childrens-books, meta-reviews

I have a confession to make, goodreads. You might want to sit down.

I've been seeing other literary social cataloguing websites.

No, wait, put that plate down. It wasn't because I really wanted to see anyone else. . . it was for my grade. *dodges plate* Wait, wait, let me explain! The thing is, I'm doing a big project on book reviews.

I'm analyzing the rhetorical differences between online book reviews and those published in print.

From meta-reviews to highly negative reviews, to reviews that are discussing the process of reading the book instead of the actual book itself, I'm searching for every kind of trend that's developing. Including the brilliant one-sentence reviews.

How many have I been seeing? Uh, like four. Probably six by the end of the week. *dodges a lamp* But I'm not reviewing with them, goodreads! I'm just there for the . . . well, you know . . . if I want my project to say anything, I need to know the lay of the land, don't I?

But, more than just literary social cataloguing websites, I'm also looking at other parts of the internet: online-only reviewers, amazon.com book reviews, and on and on. The project itself will be specifically about reviews on goodreads, but I'm going to do some comparisons to see why our reviews are better than theirs. Because they are, and I love you the best.

I'm saying all this because it would just be the cat's pajamas if anyone knows a website I should check out, article I should read, or even a specific review that you think of as a "must read."

And I raise the question: is it even a book review if the book is never mentioned, nor any issue about the book's subject matter raised?

20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Night Kitchen.

message 1: by karen (new)

karen goodreads.com is looking at you through slitted eyes.

message 2: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! There's someone who reviews books on flickr. She'll take a picture of herself wearing or doing something (shoulders up) related to the book and post her review as the caption. My link memory is failing me on a specific site address.

If the review is well-written, I don't care if it never mentions the book. It could be about the situation around the reading experience, how the reader found the physical book, etc. It may not get me to read the actual book, but I love reading the review.

Michael goodreads.com is looking at you through slitted eyes.

Don't hate the player, goodreads. Hate the game.

"You were thinking of us the whole time."

Well, if I'd been thinking of you the WHOLE time, that wouldn't count as cheating. Right?

I was definitely cheating.

But you're way better than LibraryThing and Shelfari combined.

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine people post book reviews on youtube sometimes.

Powells also has a review a day thing where they email you a review from several magazines every day that I get and I enjoy them throughly.

I don't know how much you care about print but I think looking at the believer might be a good idea because they have a lot of rules about what people are allowed to say in the reviews written for them.

facebook also has a couple apps about books other than goodreads.

message 5: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! [image error]

Michael Thanks for the badass assortment of links and suggestions! And Brad, "the pussy's c*nt" is my new favorite saying. I'm gonna start working it into every single conversation, you just watch.

message 7: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal Is this a book review?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

i would say no. it's definitely not a book review.

i voted anyway though. i like michael. and i want him to like us best.

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine it made me want to read the book

message 10: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal Is this a comment?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

i would say no. it's definitely not a comment.

i like it though. i would vote for it if i could.

message 12: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh!

message 13: by Ademption (new)

Ademption Book slut.*

That wasn't actually directed at anyone so much as at everyone.

message 14: by Esteban (new)

message 15: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Evan wrote: "Book slut.*

That wasn't actually directed at anyone so much as at everyone."

and it's true!!

message 16: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh!

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine is that a real dog?

god forgot to include legs.

message 18: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Heh, it's a Maltese puppy. The legs are lost in fluff.

message 19: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine he's adorable.

message 20: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine

message 21: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Michael description

Is this dumbbell really being clung to by a little panda? If the dumb bell has no sensory apperati whatsoever, how can it judge? How can we judge if we can't verify the dumbbell's existence to know whether to trust its opinion of whether there is a bear clinging to it? All I know is, all the cute animal pictures in this thread are truly the pussy's cunt.

message 24: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Have you read Nick Hornby's and Virginia Woolf's books of reviews/criticism? They're really great.

This brings up the point AGAIN about how we need to be able to shelve our favorite reviews.

message 25: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Meredith wrote: "Have you read Nick Hornby's books of reviews/criticism? "

seconded.

message 26: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine actually eco does some interesting post modern reviews in one of his books. and in fact probably most of his lit theory ones.

message 27: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow I forgot to note, someone else mentioned the Believer, and Nick Hornby's books come from his reviews in the Believer.

message 28: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Meredith wrote: "I forgot to note, someone else mentioned the Believer, and Nick Hornby's books come from his reviews in the Believer."

that was me. you are my super super best friend now.

I like his meta commentary on the believer a lot.

message 29: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Yeah, he's awesome. SUPERBESTFRIENDS 4 EVA! I will come back to the homeschool best friends thread someday, but it's too overwhelming for me right now.

message 30: by Caris (last edited Sep 28, 2010 08:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caris You cheating fuckstick bastard.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm on the fence about voting, but Stanislaw Lem's A Perfect Vacuum is a really funny set of book reviews for books that never existed.

message 32: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Meredith wrote: "Yeah, he's awesome. SUPERBESTFRIENDS 4 EVA! I will come back to the homeschool best friends thread someday, but it's too overwhelming for me right now."

no worries we all decided to back off on that one.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Also:

description

message 35: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine [image error]

Michael Are you looking for lots and lots of print reviews? New York Times, the Atlantic, London Review of Books, that sort of thing?

Although I won't have time to go as in-depth with print reviews for the project, I'll definitely be reading a bunch of them to make sure my theories about them are actually true. The print reviews I'm most interested in will be those that share some of the main characteristics you get on goodreads: more interaction with the text than 'ownership' of the text, if that makes sense; reviews that take the form of creative writing; reviews that serve as a literary diary more than an objective look at the book in question; basically, I want to get a good sense of what is included in a traditional print book review, and also what sorts of more creative reviews have made it into print. And then, I'm interested in everything unusual going on with book reviews online.

You cheating fuckstick bastard.

Pot/Kettle. I know how much time you spend hanging out over at manhunt.com.

Caris Manhunt is a different thing entirely and you know it.

message 38: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! It's okay, Michael, Caris only bestows the effstick name on those he's jealous of and wants to SWF a la Jennifer Jason Leigh.

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Michael wrote: " The print reviews I'm most interested in will be those that share some of the main characteristics you get on goodreads"

I liked earlier to the tournament of books I think that you will get this from that because a lot of those reviews talk about the enjoyment from the process of reading the books and compare books on that level.

also the dan brown review I linked to reminds me of a good reads review cause it's just mean.

Caris In that case, consider me jealous of you, Eh!.

message 41: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Caris wrote: "In that case, consider me jealous of you, Eh!."

Heh, that's 씨발 스틱 to you.

Caris I forgot you already knew. Some things just make me so pleased with myself.

message 43: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh!

Michael Thanks, Jasmine! Loved the Dan Brown review. That book tournament is fun, and I'll read more of those. Do y'all know any other review battle royales that have happened on Goodreads, other than the one I wrote? I feel like it's kind of masturbatory to talk about my own reviews.

message 45: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I can't think of any off the top of my head but I swear greg has some. I'll think about it and see if I can remember. I know a lot of people do the "this isn't as good as that other book over there" thing.

message 46: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Wasn't Caris involved in some kind of throwdown competition about the book about the not-spelunkers? But I actually don't think I understand your battle royale. Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention to it, but were you LITERALLY FIGHTING?! Or were you just in your garage with your cardboard light saber? It makes a difference.

message 47: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Michael wrote: "Do y'all know any other review battle royales that have happened on Goodreads"

Oh sheesh, too many to count!

A bunch of posts were deleted when the author got booted off but you can get the gist: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
The reviewer follows up on her own blog: http://gentlewit.com/2010/02/23/i-bel...

I'll try to find the thread where a bunch of people linked more author/reviewer confrontations. There are also many where it was reviewers vs. reviewers.

message 48: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Eh? Eh! wrote: "Michael wrote: "Do y'all know any other review battle royales that have happened on Goodreads"

Oh sheesh, too many to count!

A bunch of posts were deleted when the author got booted off but you c..."

But is that what he's asking about? Again, I'm confused.

message 49: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Some of the reviews for Eating Animals by Foer. Look for long threads.

message 50: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow Elizabeth wrote: "Also, Meredith's review of Soulless?"

There was also the hit-and-run girl who was so pissed that I ragged on Beauty and the Beast in the Twilight review. But she never came back. To my eternal sorrow. I'll probably get over it someday, but I still think of her every time I see a LOLcat.

Is that what michael is even talking about? MICHAELCOMEBACK!!!

« previous 1