Sally's Reviews > Miss Pettibone and Miss McGraw

Miss Pettibone and Miss McGraw by Brenda Weathers

Mar 09, 12

bookshelves: dares, glbt-girls, ww2, ghosts, romance
Read from March 08 to 09, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Absolutely lovely story! Starts "in the middle" where Anna and Gilly are ghosts who have remained in their house after death and are horrified when a loud and arrogant man wants to move in with his wife... they do their best to scare the pair away ;) Then we go back to the beginning of the story, where they met, as singers in an all-girl band during WWII. The band is sent to the Philippines to boost morale and entertain the troops there, but eventually Anna and Gilly are found out, sacked, and sent home in disgrace. At the end of the story, another couple is wanting to move into their house... this time, a pair of young ladies. So you have Anna and Gilly watching them, amazed at how much times have changed.

I really loved this book, but I kind of wish it had only had the 1940s setting, because that was just so beautifully done. And it was about 75% of the book in any case - the "bookends" at the start and finish, in present day (well, the 1990s or so) were fun enough but not the highlight of the story by any stretch. Although it was cute when Anna and Gilly borrowed the young couple's bodies, and went out dancing for the night... at last able to dance together in public :)

It was so cruel and unfair the way the girls were treated in the 1940s... everyone just ganged up on them! And they were sacked based on rumours alone, and then flown home quick-smart because the poor trooups fighting the war don't need to be surrounded by such "filth". lol, did anyone ask the red-blooded males what they thought of two hot dames making out on the beach? ;)

The setting was just divine. You know me and WWII stories :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Pettibone and Miss McGraw.

03/08/2012 page 45