Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > We'll Always Have Summer

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han

Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: from-publisher, galleygrab, for-review, book-boyfriends, my-books, won-in-contest, new-adult, signed-copy, young-adult
Read on February 18, 2011 — I own a copy

When I saw that this book was available on GalleyGrab I literally SQUEE’D out loud and did a happy dance in my computer chair. Yes, I loved the previous two books in this series that much. So that off the bat should tell you how I feel about these books. I love Jenny Han’s writing style: it’s so simplistic, yet it flows so well, sometimes in quite the poetic way.

As for this book specifically: I enjoyed the flashbacks, like usual, and I also really, really liked the chapters that were from Conrad’s POV, though I would have liked some insight into Jeremiah as well. Conrad may be swoon-worthy, but Jeremiah is like this amazing loyal puppy dog (ouch, probably not what a guy wants to be compared with), and some of his decisions seemed a bit out of character from what we’ve seen of him before.

This third volume of Belly, Conrad, and Jeremiah features a lot of heartache, and I have to say it was a bit melodramatic for my taste at times. Nevertheless I ate it up with a spoon, and it still felt real, since Belly is a character who feels things so deeply.

One of the things I love most about these books is the beach feel and the house at Cousins, so I was thrilled that it was still a big part of the story, and that all the characters were involved. This book was a bit different from what I expected, but I still think it was perfect in a lot of ways. The only way I would have liked this book more is if there had been a few more lighthearted, happy moments, as that’s what I like best in a book. I also would have liked a bit more lead-up to the eventual ending, since even though the book did lead up to it in a way, it felt like we were being cheated out of a lot of moments that I definitely wanted to experience along with Belly.

There’s no doubt in my mind that you’ll enjoy this conclusion if you liked the previous books. ‘We’ll Always Have Summer’ is full of heart, offering sad but hopeful moments, tearful encounters on the beach, and heart pounding moments as well. Do yourself a favour and pick up this book when it’s released, and if you haven’t read the first two books, check those out in the meantime. Any fan of contemporary YA, especially contemporary romance, will likely find something they enjoy in these books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We'll Always Have Summer.