Heidi's Reviews > The Trick Is to Keep Breathing

Sep 23, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed
Read from September 18 to 23, 2010

I should have paced out my "Sullen Girl" reading list a bit more because I would have enjoyed The Trick Is to Keep Breathing quite a lot if I haddn't recently read The Bell Jar.

The beauty in this book is not so much the story, but the narrator's trip through insanity. It's written in a journal-like form which can't be easy to do. Along with desperation and hysteria, we've got flashbacks, doodles, coorespondance letters and notes in the margin - a lot of which make absolutly no sense - so you feel like you are wittnessing the diolauge inside a womans head.

I realized something from reading this book though. People elude to the apprehensive years of a young woman's life... and I've been through them, no doubt... but it strikes me as strange that that age is pushed out to 17-24 years. We're fully functioning adults by that age. So, what is it that makes us a bit mad at that time?

In this story, Joy Stone losses the man she's living with when he drowns at a pool where they are vacationing and she can't cope with the empathy that people show her for it. In reality though, she's already healing... she's healing from wounds that were inflicted long before the death of her lover.

And that's it! Woman go through that stage of healing from the trauma of adolescence... nothing crazy about that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trick Is to Keep Breathing.