Karen's Reviews > The Book of Unholy Mischief

The Book of Unholy Mischief by Elle Newmark

Aug 19, 10

Read in August, 2010

Wow, what can I say about this book? Newmark writes like butter. And cream. I wanted to eat her words and make them part of me, they were all so delicious. Setting is 14th century Venice, narrator an orphan boy from the streets who is taken as an apprentice by the great chef of the Doge, the ruling leader of Venice. Character development is brilliant. Plot intriguing. The idea of Guardians of truth, written in a special book that has become the one object of greatest worth to those who do and do not understand it, who will kill to get possession of it.

What I didn't like about it, otherwise I would have given it 10 stars, is this felt like Newmark's attempt to promote a personal agenda, to preach her particular brand of religion or non-religion, and have it spoken through the character of the chef who is the great teacher and bearer of truth.

Still, the agenda was subtle and didn't intrude as much as it might have. A bit more and it would have gone over the edge of what I like, and into Dan Brown territory. But she's a brilliant writer and I will definitely read her other books. She writes like butter. And cream. Oh wait I already said that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Unholy Mischief.