Zeek's Reviews > The Last Templar

The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury

Aug 19, 10

bookshelves: suspense-thriller, fiction
Read in November, 2007

Initially, I found The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury to be surprisingly engaging, despite the less than stellar reviews on Amazon. By the time I turned the last page I understood why it doesn’t quite work for many people.

Doesn’t work for men- Because the writer attempted to throw in a romance between the FBI agent called in to solve the case of the mystery horseman dressed as Templar knights who raided NY Met committing gruesome murder along the way and the archeologist Tess, who just happened to be right where the one significant thing was stolen. Khoury should have avoided the romance. It wasn’t needed. An early Scully and Mulder relationship would have worked much better.

Doesn’t work for women- a man wrote the romance part. ‘Nuf said.

Doesn’t work for most- Too much rip off of Dan Brown. Too much info. Dumping. And too many clichéd and “oh, THAT’S convenient” moments.

Yet, for me anyway, the flaws didn’t bother me as much it should have. I happen to love The Gnostic vs The Church debate. It’s an old debate- since Christ ascended I would say- and it never fails to amuse me that people think they are being clever and “new” in their arguments. Still, I like to read about the history of it and the author threw in quite a bit of it. Now, the question is whether or not the author got it right from The Gnostic/Templar historical view. Personally I don’t care. It had enough in it to keep the pages turning- mostly because I wanted to figure out what the big secret was that the Catholic Church wanted to keep hidden. Thankfully, It wasn’t quite Dan Brown’s big “secret”, (*snort* secret), or I would have been done with it early on. But it’s unimaginative enough you might figure it out right away.

I’m giving it a 3 out of 5. It’s mildly entertaining- you just have to deal with his style of delivering it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Templar.