Laura's Reviews > Queen of Sorcery

Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

Oct 11, 10

bookshelves: middle-school-and-up
Read in January, 2010

I am entirely convinced that if I read this back in upper elementary or middle school, then I would love this book and the series. As an adult there are plenty of youth lit books I sincerely enjoy... this isn't necessarily one of them. I keep trekking on because I do want to like them and they are fantasy classics but I'll be honest when I say I don't know if I'll make it through this whole series. The similarities of these books to other fantasy books are cliche and even within the book there are similarities across characters (e.g., the common desire for the girl who is married to a family member). I enjoy some of the characters in the group when they are being unique- like Silk's secret language, Mandorallen's subtle wisdom, Hettar's connection with horses and blunt hatred for Murgos and Grolims, Barak's interesting transformation process, and Belgarath's humor and patience. But more often than not their actions and emotions are predictable which leads to impatience as the reader for the characters to realize plots that are clearly foreshadowed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of Sorcery.