Erin's Reviews > Angelina: An Unauthorized Biography

Aug 22, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: hollywood, memoir-and-biography
Read from August 19 to 21, 2010

This was my first experience with an Andrew Morton biography. Since his name is so well known and he gets access to so many people, I figured he had to be a decent writer. After reading Angelina, I'd beg to differ.

The book is full of half-baked conjecture on Angelina Jolie's mental state due to various events in her life. Morton trots out, "Joe Schmo, Beverly Hills psychologist, who has never treated Angelina or any of her family members" a lot for opinions on her behavior. It's a little ridiculous. I think anyone who reads US Weekly could guess that Angelina Jolie has had some issues, but I'm uncomfortable with this kind of third party diagnosis. The writing is subpar in other ways, as well. The author will tell us one thing (Marcheline threw elaborate parties for James, her favorite child, but only casual affairs for Angelina) and then five pages later contradict it (Marcheline spent days hand-engraving birthday invitations for a big party for Angelina). I felt silly reading this. It was all a little tawdry.

The author also spends a lot of time trying to convince the reader that Angelina's lifelong problems with her father are something she's overblown and that her mother was really the bad parent. Look, I don't know Angelina, but I'm sort of outraged on her behalf that some writer she's never met gets to pull apart her heart-wrenching family dramas and rewrite history for his own purposes. It's just not cool.

The only reason I finished this book was because the background stuff about what was going on in Hollywood at the time was pretty interesting to me. There are definitely some interesting tidbits about production on various films, interaction between various celebrities on set, etc. But I can't in good conscience recommend the book to others.
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelina.

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Was curious why you read this! Now I see it is not all that it is cracked up to be. I read Diana and liked that, but Angelina won't go on my to-read list.
Don't care for her and now you saved me from reading about her, too!

Isabella This was everything I felt about the book summed up in one review.