Liz 's Reviews > Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories

Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories by Sandra Cisneros

Jun 04, 2008

bookshelves: short-stories, feminism-sex-gender-sexuality

This book was assigned reading in high school where each student got one different book picked by the teacher and i need to thank Mrs Chapman because it blew my mind. Really changed the way I thought, or maybe made me realize and focus and bring to light what I thought and didnt understand yet or wasnt able to put into words.

I have bought many copies of this book as I give it away all the time. Cisneros needs to write more books as I cannot get enough of her.

She is a feminist voice that is so talented and really writes a great story/characters first and foremost.

The best story to me personally is about the Barbies. I need to reread this book.

I got to see her read a few years ago. When Caramelo came out, It was amazing. She read in all of these different voices and made me disappointed when I read the book becuase she brought the pages to LIFE.

I love how in the about the author biography on the back of her books it says "She is no ones wife, and no ones mother." It just ressonated with me as so badass and a declaration of her independence. Especially as a woman who does not want to have children it is seen to be a lacking in a woman if she does not experience motherhood. People say with pride that they live with their husband, two kids and dogs ont their dust jackets, she says with pride that she is not married or have children, too often to be something women are conditioned to be ashamed of. It suits her work and these stories perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories.