Alicia's Reviews > The Law and the Lady

The Law and the Lady by Wilkie Collins

Oct 06, 10

Read from September 15 to October 06, 2010

I loved Wilkie Collins' Moonstone and Woman in White, so I picked up this lesser-known book by him. I enjoyed this mystery written in 1875 in which the woman takes the initiative and solves the mystery. This book has the most eccentric character EVER (Dexter) but I love Collins' writing and thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Quotes:

"Could a man who was hopelessly and entirely wicked, have inspired such devoted attachment to him as Dexter had inspired in the faithful woman who had just left me... Who can decide? The greatest scoundrel living always has a friend -- in a woman, or a dog." (p. 284)

"Time has got all the credit of being the great consoler of afflicted mortals. In my opinion, Time has been over-rated in this matter. Distance does the same beneficent work, far more speedily, and (when assisted by Change) far more effectually as well." (p. 297)

"Placed between those two cruel alternatives, which could I choose? Think of your own frailties; and have some mercy on mine." (p. 337)

"And so it ended! Not as I thought it would end; not perhaps as you thought it would end. What do we know of our own lives? What do we know of the fulfillment of our dearest wishes? God knows -- and that is best." (p. 382)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Law and the Lady.