Mel's Reviews > Hunt the Moon

Hunt the Moon by Karen Chance

Jun 19, 11

Read from June 10 to 16, 2011

Hunt the Moon is the fifth in the Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance and boy, was it a long wait or what? Anticipations and excitement were running high and I couldn't wait to start reading the book and immerse myself in Chance's elaborate world with attention to detail, neck breaking action and rich characters.

Maybe it was the high expectations but I couldn't help being a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong: it's a well written story in typical Chance pace, prose and humor. But it also felt a bit different. Partly in action (there was quite a bit of down time in the book) and partly in character. I felt both Cassie and Pritkin changed in this book.

General critique by Cassie haters is that she was TSTL and self absorbed. I have never felt it was true until this book. Cassie has always been a character who felt responsible for all those around her. But this time around she did things without heed to the consequents of her actions. She was also quite snappy and rude at times and really slow on the uptake in some instances.

The biggest change, though, was in Pritkin. Don't get me wrong: I have waited for ages for him to open up and show more of himself. But, like one of my GR friends said, it was too fast too soon. I almost didn't recognize him in some parts. When did he get so talkative and... fun?
Fortunately the Cassie and Mircea scenes still felt like old times.

In general though: the book was well written, entertaining and fun. And the love triangle: oh my! I thought Chance handled it in a most satisfactory way. There is no resolve, but the story isn't milked out. There is progression and change. But at the end, Cassie is still as confused as ever.
So are the readers, I presume, because Chance makes it impossible for us to choose! Both men are wonderfully complex. They are attractive and mysterious, warm and closed off, honorable and flawed. (I'm still Camp Pritkin though).

All in all: a story worth the wait and I can't wait to find out what happens next book. I just hope to dear God it doesn't take another 18 months to come out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunt the Moon.

06/14/2011 page 294
68.0% 8 comments
06/14/2011 page 324
75.0% "Flooze. Floozy!!!! :)" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

ஐAndreaஐ Thank you!!!

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Andrea what do you think of the chapters? Didn't it just break your heart to see 'summer 2011' . Argh waiting so long for Cassie and Pritkin...

ஐAndreaஐ I haven't gotten a chance to read them yet :( I'm still at work but I printed them and was very excited that I can even read the first two. June is way too long too wait! I was so sad when I finished the last book and found out that it wouldn't be released for so long. I can't wait!

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh let me know how you like them! :)

message 5: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Ladies..... this wait shall be the death of me. D:

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Just 8 more months right? Not 1,5 years anymore. We can do it!

message 7: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Le sigh.

message 8: by Shay (new) - added it

Shay Les then a month. how time flys... :)

message 9: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia AHHHHHHH! I CAN'T WAIT!

message 10: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh I promised I'd partcipate on the reread in the KC group. I don't know if I have time though. Oh! But it does make time go by faster and before we know it.... Whooot!

message 11: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara You didn't get this early? What is happening to your book dealer?

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I don't know! It's unheard of! And they're getting worse with each book. At least I got Kresley Cole's book two days early and LUnl one day early. And this will be on time at best! Pooh!

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel It's official, I'm late!

message 14: by Tara (last edited Jun 07, 2011 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara You're pregnant?!?!

Just Kidding! But, Oh No! I know that is unacceptable for a Karen Chance book!! Is there anywhere else you can get it? Do you know how much longer it will be? Want me to mail you a copy?

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel LOL, I knew you'd say that. Alas, if I were it would have been an immaculate conception.

Thanks for the offer! But I guess it'll just be a day or two. Maybe it's the ash cloud again?

Nichole (Dirty H) Well, mine is going to be super duper late so I just went to the bookstore.

I love it already! I love watching Cassie and Pritkin just get closer and closer. They still don't realize it! But they're so comfortable with each other and they're opening up with each other more and more. I can't wait until you get the book, Mel!

message 17: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara I'm tempted to run and get it and read it immediately just so I can say I read it before Mel!

message 18: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh Nichole, you're killing me!

Tara, pooh you! I think I'm going to call my bookstore if I don't get a notification today. Two days late. In the words of Stefanie Tanner, "How rude'".
I wanted to finish this before the weekend (company trip). Now there's no way I'll be able to pull that off. Meh.

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel It's in. It's in! It's ihiiiin! I'll try to start reading tonight. Damnit, I have a threeday trip to France with work. Won't have any time then. *grumblegrumble*

message 20: by Shay (new) - added it

Shay A three-day trip to France? oh, you poor thing you....

message 21: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Yes I know it sounds fab. We're staying at a castle too. But we'll probably have zero time to look around. Most I'll see will be from my time in the (6 hour!) car trip.
We've got workshops and seminars all day. Which should be fun. Last year we just hung around the whole weekend. And I'm sorry but hanging around in my free weekends I prefer to do with my friends, not my colleagues. It gets a bit tiresome if you have to spend 15 hour days with each other doing next to nothing.

message 22: by Shay (new) - added it

Shay Mel wrote: "So now we have the days fully booked and the nights too. No Cassie & Pritkin time. Booohooo :( "

But maybe you'll find your own Louis-Cesare?

message 23: by Mel (last edited Jun 09, 2011 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel LOL, I wish. We are pretty secluded, but who knows, maybe you'll turn out to be right and fate will send a hunky Frenchman with a skilled tongue my way :)

Nichole (Dirty H) What is the different feel? I did think it seemed a bit slower (in a good way) and more focused - fewer extraneous characters and more focus on the three main ones. Less deviation from the main plot.

message 25: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I was looking forward to less action, maybe that's the reason why some scenes feel weird. Especially the ones with Pritkin.

message 26: by Shay (new) - added it

Shay too much wild chase action scenes with Mircea IMO... :)

message 27: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Well, they had enough down time to do some sexin... ;)

The Flooze The thing that annoyed me most was the Who's on First conversations. For example, when she and Mircea were at the party there was an exchange akin to:

C - It's almost over.
M - What's almost over?
C - This.
M - What's this?
C - A spell.
M - There's a spell?
C - Yup. We're not in it.
M - Not in what?
C - The spell.

And on and on...it was amusing the first time she used it. By the third time I was wondering why Cassie was being so vague all the time. Or why the person with her, like Mircea, wasn't shaking her for fuller answers. I mean, it's Mircea. He's not stupid.

Mmm. Sexin'. ;)

message 29: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I know! And I remember Shannon once put in her reviews that the world explanation in dialogue was too obvious and annoying. It never bothered me before but it did now. Like when she explains to Marco what the Pythia necklace was for. And I hate, hate, hate it when the villain explains all at the end of the book. It's like: "lookit children, have a seat while I break it down to you." Seriously: why talk so much when you're trying to kill someone?
What also confuses me: wouldn't Cassie's first idea be to turn back time in order to weapon herself against the demigod? Or to save Pritkin?

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 22, 2011 05:18AM) (new)

Mel wrote: "And I hate, hate, hate it when the villain explains all at the end of the book. It's like: "lookit children, have a seat while I break it down to you." Seriously: why talk so much when you're trying to kill someone? "

The reason for that is that no villain ever reads the Evil Overlord List:
#7 When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."

I think this list should be mandatory for villains.

message 31: by Gemma (new)

Gemma :S

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 22, 2011 05:32AM) (new)

Gem H aka *Dhelirious* wrote: ":S

OK you have me worried Mel. I've just warmed up to Pritkin in CtD and your last statement hints he dies!!!!"

No need to be worry about that.
The Devil looks after his own.

message 33: by Gemma (new)

Gemma phe, cos I would be putting off reading this book as long as possible if that were the case

message 34: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Don't worry Gemmi.
Nicole, that list is hilarious! By the way: I quoted you in my review, you notice?

The Flooze The Devil looks after his own - lol!

If I ever write a UF, I think I'll make sure all the Evil Overlord points are checked off.

In the previous books the info dump convos were directed at Cassie, filling in gaps in her knowledge. Since I accepted her as a newbie, I didn't mind. This time it's Cassie explaining things to people far older and mostly wiser than herself. I think that created the irritation for me. Especially in those scenes with Mircea, since we know he's quick to grasp things. I'd feel the same if she was suddenly standing around explaining things to Pritkin.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Mel wrote: "Don't worry Gemmi.
Nicole, that list is hilarious!

Thanks!
I like that list very much.

By the way: I quoted you in my review, you notice?"

I did notice.

The Flooze (Michelle M.) wrote: "Hmn...I think that means the villain is going to have to be the hero of the piece. "

Well, there is the saying that the villain is the hero of the other side.
And it would be a challange for the heroes to outsmart a villain, who isn't only competent off-scren, when he is plotting his attacks, but also onscreen when he is facing his adversaries.

The Flooze Villain hero it is, dammit!

message 38: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack! I haven't had a chance to read the whole book yet!

A) I'm poor.
B) WOOOOOORRRRRKKKK
C) I'm moving again next week.

I've missed you guys!!!

message 39: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Yay Amelia! Glad you're back. Where are you moving to? How are you liking HtM sofar?

message 40: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia I'm moving to a better hood in Gainesville.
I believe I left off on Chapter 4 and already I have had many a chuckle.

message 41: by Niks (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niks yu-hoo! Go team Pritkin!!))

message 42: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Definitely. Pritkin all the way :)