notgettingenough 's Reviews > The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains

The Shallows by Nicholas Carr

Aug 04, 13

bookshelves: science-sort-of, sociology

Mr Pinker, vacuous decrier of this book. I wonder if you might listen in on the salutary tale of what happened to my brain some years ago and the general relevance of this tale to the Internet society in which we now live....the story, the moral, the solution are here:

For technical reasons:

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb
27 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shallows.

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Wow. I want to know how many other moms have eaten chucked up baby food. Names.

message 2: by Duffy (new)

Duffy Pratt But, but, I've seen people play sessions of World of Warcraft for so long that they could have benefited from having a catheter brought in. You can even order pizza delivery from directly within the game.

message 3: by Manny (last edited Aug 23, 2010 09:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Manny Duffy wrote: "But, but, I've seen people play sessions of World of Warcraft for so long that they could have benefited from having a catheter brought in. You can even order pizza delivery from directly within the game"

That's a nice detail :)

I looked around for stuff on game addiction a year or two ago, when I felt I was playing way too much internet chess. It's apparently far from unknown for addicts to use adult diapers so as not to have to take bathroom breaks - this is one of the really serious warning signs. (I never got anywhere close, in case you're wondering). And there are at least four well-documented cases which ended with the addict actually dead as a direct result of being unable to stop playing.

howl of minerva Great review. Pinker has become a professional bullshitter with a bullshit opinion on everything, way beyond his domain of bullshit expertise.