Eric Rasmussen's Reviews > Hot Time in the Old Town: The Great Heat Wave of 1896 and the Making of Theodore Roosevelt

Hot Time in the Old Town by Edward P. Kohn

Oct 17, 10

Read from September 30 to October 12, 2010

I love a good piece of disaster non-fiction. Unfortunately, this was only one third disaster non-fiction. The majority of this book is about Teddy Roosevelt and the presidential campaign between William Jennings Bryan and McKinley. For history buffs, no doubt, a pretty exciting campaign. For me, it all seemed pretty run of the mill. It also didn't help that I don't fully understand the major issue of the day, switching from the gold standard.

But all of this is quite beside the point, because what I was interested in was the heat wave, how it happened, how it affected people, both victims and survivors, but that was such a small portion of this book. It also only focuses on the heat wave of New York, when the wave affected the whole country. Also, I would have appreciated a little more context as to history, meteorology, and culture of extreme heat. None of that either.

A fine book, just not what I wanted. I wanted a book about the big deadly, heat wave that would leave me with a better understanding of all facets of that particular phenomenon (like what Children's Blizzard did for blizzards). This book was more of a moment in time heat plus politics.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Time in the Old Town.