Arlene's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Dec 21, 10

bookshelves: favorites, read-2010, ya-contemporary, autographed, young-adult
Read from December 11 to 15, 2010

GOD! I’m giddy... I’m actually giddy after reading this book! Oh and I’m officially a Nook hugger. This book made me a chronic giddy Nook hugger. What a hot mess! But so what I ♥ it. Jolly good book indeed!

Anna and the French Kiss is an absolute hit. It immediately takes top rank in my fave YA romance, chicky-type lit reads and there is absolutely no doubt I’ll be reading this book every year over and over again. The blokes and blokettes are loveable, the storyline is perfect, and the light romance is a thing of shear beauty. I could go on an on about how much this book made me feel light hearted and happy… just plain ole happy, but you’re just going to have to experience it for yourself.

In this book, Anna is shipped off to SOAP, School of America in Paris by her Nicholas Sparky-type author dad; and she’s absoltuely homesick, lost and insecure as she doesn’t speak a lick of French. Along comes the best crew of characters and not only befriend Anna, but drag her out of her dorm to experience the city of Paris and all of its wonders. As the book progresses, Anna and St. Clair develop a lovey type friendship that they eventually must acknowledge, but not without some messy sitches along the way.

My favorite scenes in the book: Anna and St. Clair’s tour of the city, their Turkey dinner in Paris, yelling down the halls and stairwell during the holiday, sleepovers, multiple trips to the cinema, the flight home, the emails back and forth, the New Year’s telephone call, Whyareyougivingawaythecookies?, the banana bead, Pablo Neruda poetry book... I love Neruda! Gah! I could go on and on, so let’s just say I loved it all.

St. Clair is absolute perfection, yummier than a fluffy croissant. Anna is adorably awesome and flawed, the type of girl that you’d love to pinch her cheeks and run like hell. Together, their story is full of enjoyable moments that reminded me how sporadically awesome it was to be a teenager. Loved it!!! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Do I recommend it?? Ummm bloody hell yeah!

Thanks to the Street Corner Bookers for finding this book and adding it to our read and rant! After a string of no hits, we’ve found our stride. XD

Favorite Quotes
"So what do I wish for? Something I'm not sure I want? Someone I'm not sure I need? Or someone I know I can't have?"

"Is it possible for home to be a person and not a place?"

"I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it."

"Boys turns girls into such idiots."

Alternate book covers

descriptiondescriptiondescription

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

12/13/2010 page 75
20.0% "Love it so far!!"
12/14/2010 page 186
50.0% "Jolly good book! The bloke and blokette are quite adorable! Love it!! :)"

Mayomi Glad you are enjoying it so far, more reason to read the book, yay! planning on reading it after I'm done reading Hunger Games series. :)

Arlene Oooh! The Hunger Games! I love that series. I hope you're enjoying that one. It's one of the best series out there IMO.

I really like Anna. Fast read and I like the storyline.

Happy reading Mayomi. :)

Keli I'm glad it's getting fantastical reviews, I might as well pick it up soon :)

Morgan F Gah! I must read this!

Arlene Rae, I loved it! I hope you get it soon.

Arlene Morgan, you must, you MUST! I'd give you mine but it's stuck in my Nook. :(

Kristy Stop it!!! You are adding to my massive pile of want books!!!! ;)

Arlene LMAO Kristy!! Well then, you're in good company my friend. Read it!! You won't regret it. :P

Kristy moving up the list in my mind as we speak!

Arlene Woot! XD

message 11: by Nic (last edited Dec 16, 2010 01:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Loved your review Arlene! Best book of our bookers reads. We should do some book awards over at the corner.

Morgan F I was thinking the same thing Nic!

Janina Great review, Arlene! So glad this was a success among us bookers ;). About the awards: Great idea. We could include it in the New Year's bash Arlene suggested a while ago.

~Tina~ LOL! This is great Arlene! I loved all those moments as well. Definitely our clubs BEST book so far!

Arlene Thanks Bookers!! This was one of my faves this year.

Yes! To the New Years Book in Review Awards. We need to start coming up with categories. That would be fun! XD

~Tina~ ^^ That sounds like fun! We should have the party in the For the love of books thread!
Best and Worse of 2010! w00000t!

Mayomi Awesome review. Dont know what I'm still waiting for not reading this already.

Jessica Love your review Arlene! So glad we picked this one :D

Jessica YAY for the awards!

message 20: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Party at the corner woo hoo!

Arlene Thanks Jess! XD

Party?!?! I'm there! :)

Arlene @ Mayomi, I hope you decide to read it. It's a great book. I think you'd love it. :)

Ariana I've read this book because of your review, so thank you for a great read, I really-really loved it :)

message 24: by Mayomi (last edited Dec 22, 2010 03:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mayomi Oh Arlene, I'm almost half way through the book already and I'm absolutely loving it so far

Arlene Ari wrote: "I've read this book because of your review, so thank you for a great read, I really-really loved it :)"

Ari you are more than welcome!! Thanks so much for coming back and letting me know and I'm so glad to hear you loved it. Yay!!!

message 26: by Arlene (last edited Dec 23, 2010 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arlene Mayomi wrote: "Oh Arlene, I'm almost half way through the book already and I'm absolutely loving it so far"

Woot!!!! Mayomi, enjoy the rest of your Paris trip with Anna and Etienne. I can't wait to read your review. XD

message 27: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I was hugging my nook for 20 minutes after I read this! I love this book. Your review was actually what made me download it. I am so glad I saw it because this is a book I would have never wanted to miss out on!

Arlene Aww Sara! LOL You made my day. :) Glad there is a fellow Nook hugger out there and I'm happy you loved the book too. Thanks for posting and letting me know! XD

Prisca John Green recommended this book and I'm dying to read it :) I think I'm gonna be a Nook hugger afterwards

Arlene LOL Prisca!! I love John Green's books and he was spot on with rec'ing this. It was great. Enjoy the book and hug your nook. :)

message 31: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora Love your review, Arlene! This book is definitely on my all-time favorites list:)

Arlene Thank you Lora! Top fave of mine too. :)

Sharana Giddy is the PERFECT description of how i felt while reading this book. Spot on review here Arlene!

Arlene Thank you Sharana! This was such a feel good book. Glad you loved it too. :)

Sharon You said it so much better than I could!! I wanted to write a proper review but all I could think of was "PURE YUM"! Ha! This book was just fantastic!

Arlene Thanks Sharon! I really need to read this again. I loved this book to pieces!! Glad you loved it too! :D

Blues For Eden Awesome review. Mirrored my feelings exactly :)
I fell in love with St.Clair!

Arlene Thank you Sitamsini! I fell for him too. What a great cast of characters. I can't wait for her next book Lola and the Boy Next Door! :D

message 39: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I just finished rereading this book and I can honestly say that I am still in love with it!! I am so pumped for Lola and the Boy Next Door!!

Arlene I can't wait for Lola and the Boy Next Door either! I'm definitely ready for a re-read on this one too Sara. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko So in my update feed I keep seeing Lola and the Boy Next Door. It seems I will need to Anna and the French Kiss first. Then I discovered I hadn't even read any reviews for Anna and the French Kiss. So here I am reading your review as it is the first one I scrolled upon. First of all let me say BEAUTIFUL review Arlene. I am so happy you loved it however I knew this because it was a rec to me from you. So blah blah blah let me say what I am getting to. I can't bring myself to read it. Why? Well I compare it to the finest most yummest dessert ever. It I feel like if I read it I won't find a book as good. Now I know you are saying what a big nerd however I can't help it. Please be a voice of reason and tell me I am not going mad.

Arlene JJJ I could be a voice of reason... I really could... I mean it would be the cool thing to do right? Well if being the voice of reason means you won't read this book then this is me => :X

You know what that is? Sealed lips! Because you HAVE.TO.... I mean HAVE.TO read this book!! LOLOL

I totally get what you mean, but see the beauty with being an avid reader is that you read book after book hoping the next one will make you laugh like a dork, cry like a baby or gush like a fool ~points at self~ that's what we strive for and this books does that! You'd be missing out on something beautiful if you don't try this book because you'll be worried that nothing else could compare to it.

So take that leap, log onto your fave .com bookstore and order it!!! See what you're doing to me? You're making me ramble!! Do it!! Read this book!!

MUAH! XD

Arlene BTW, thank you for your compliment on the review. ~huggles~

Now go read Anna!

:D

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Thanks Arlene... however you know what makes it worse? It is sitting in a pile on my nightstand. But yes I agree we read to find great books one after another. I guess I need to put on my big girl pants and sick it up.

message 45: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book. I'm reading it again for the second time. Thanks for your review which caused me to want to read this book. It fit PERFECTLY for what I was looking for..it was the perfect reading crave.

Arlene Thank you Jennifer! So glad you loved the book. It's one of my favorites!! :)

message 47: by Nahe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nahe Your review alone makes me giddy! I just started the book and now I am at work reading instead of working...shhh, don't tell!

message 48: by Arlene (last edited Sep 06, 2011 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arlene @ Nahe. LOL! Your secret is safe with me. Read away!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Arlene you will be so proud of me, I think I am going to start this book tonight. I need something on the lighter side and not paranormal after just finishing the Fever Series.

Arlene @ JJJ. Yay! I hope you like it. :) Hug Etienne for me. Squeee!!! XD