Shana Donahue's Reviews > Summer at Willow Lake

Summer at Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs

Aug 18, 2010

Read in July, 2010

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time and it was the perfect book to read on my recent vacation. The story was well-paced and the characters were interesting. It was an easy, yet engrossing read. You could put it down and pick it back up and go right back into the story with no trouble.

Summer at Willow Lake is the story of Olivia Bellemy and Connor Davis. They fell in love years before as campers at Camp Kioga and meet up again when Olivia returns to the camp in order to repair it for her grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary.

Summer is also the first book in the Lakeshore Chronicles series and it sets up a lot of characters I hope will continue to show up in subsequent books.

>p>I enjoyed Olivia Bellamy. I found her interesting and sympathetic. Despite coming from a privilege, her life was anything but. She wasn't whiny or strong to the point of being bitchy. She was just the right amount of strength and vulnerability.

I liked Connor Davis too. Even though he was portrayed as the 'bad boy', this image was more a perception due to his upbringing rather than his actions. He was an overall good guy who did the right thing but was looked at as a bad boy because of his circumstances.

I liked that he was so sweet and caring and I liked that he didn't suddenly become a millionaire and was therefore worthy of Olivia. He was worthy of her by just being him.

It was nice how the author went between present day and the times when Olivia and Conner were at the camp as well as the time Olivia's father spent at camp. It gave a great sense of history and promised that the books wouldn't only be about the people that attended camp but the camp themselves.

My only complaint is that Connor and Olivia didn't get together until nearly the end of the book and for all the build up, it wasn't very satisfying.

Overall this was an amazing book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. My greatest hope is that it will continue the stories of some of my favorite secondary characters, like Daisy and Julian. I recommend this as a perfect summer read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer at Willow Lake.