Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Unholy Ghosts

Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

Sep 23, 10

bookshelves: the-great-shelf-of-meh, kat-s-book-reviews
Read from September 20 to 22, 2010

If you've ever been one of those people lucky enough to be gifted without any specific fondness for chocolate or ice cream or sweets then you'll know what it's like to have someone look at you, horrified, and exclaim, "How? Chocolate/ice cream/lollies are so good!"

I would like to start off by saying that I'm prefectly aware that they're apparently very good. I don't mind lollies - as long as they're gummy bears I'll even eat them! I'll have chocolate occassionally but I generally avoid ice cream. So you see, it's not that I've been stuck in a jungle in Borneo for the last 24 years and am simply ignorant of how good they are. I know. Family, friends, acquaintances, strangers, sales-people, the media and the world in general has been telling me how good they are for my entire life.

It's just not my bag, baby!

[image error]

My disinterest neither adds to their goodness nor subtracts from it. I promise. Except for Gummy Bears - they are the single most awesome force on the face of the planet. Just admit it already.

Gummy Bears
The Gummy Bear Army will take care of you if you disagree!

So the thing about Unholy Ghosts wasn't that it wasn't pretty good. In fact, there are quite a few things that I will now praise the author for.

Terrible - one of the best male romantic characters created. Fantastic. The fact that she can make him so sexy yet ultimately describe him as ugly kind of does it for me.

The language - I loved the broken down English used in this story. it added a very realistic touch!

The Dystopian world - Creativity and the ability to see a different world are two things that I really enjoy about reading stories. It was intersting to read a story about a world built around maintaining the ghost threat.

The plot - well paced and interesting. I didn't catch myself getting bored at all.

description
Okay, not MUCH! I only had eight rebel gummy bears tortured while reading this book.

But still there were some set backs.

The writing was sometimes choppy, sloppy and stroppy. Sentences sometimes were awkwardly jarred together like this!

smoshed gummy

The character of Chess kind of annoyed me too. Perhaps because... well... how do I put this delicately?

Okay. Well, my mummy says that everyone is born with different gifts. Some with kindness, others with empathy and others with a drive to succeed. And some people are gifted with the ability to be judgemental little bitches who get annoyed when people make stupid decisions.

I'll give you a moment to guess which one I have. Okay, I don't really care about drugs. They aren't my deal. I'd take gummy bears over speed any day, but it was more the cliched part of her character that annoyed me.

Foster child, abused and spent her life going from home to home. We've seen it over and over again in UF dames except Elena from Women of the Otherwold does it soooooooooooo much better.

The mystery is okay. Not fantabulous but not too, too easy to solve and the spooky atmosphere of the book definitely made it a better read for me as I went along.

So I won't put Chess up there with Elena, Cat, Kate, Merit or Mercy but it's not like this series is particularly bad either and if you're looking for a nice change from the devestatingly adonis-like men of the UF/PNR world then give this book a try.

If not, you're always welcome to join me with my gummy bears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Ghosts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sharon Looking forward to seeing what you think of this series :)

LethalLovely~Live Through This and You Won't Look Back I'm afraid of you reading this book. What if you tear it a new asshole & then I feel bad about laughing about a review on a book I liked?

Kat Kennedy If I have to write a bad review would you prefer that I make it unfunny, LL? :P

It won't get a bad review though, so do worry!

LethalLovely~Live Through This and You Won't Look Back Right you are, Kat. The only good thing about reading crap books is writing hilarious rantviews on them. Have fun! *crosses fingers*

message 5: by Dominika (new) - added it

Dominika YEAH!! Gummy bears!!! there is nothing like gummy bears in this world...

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Loved the gummy bear photos. Especially the tortured one. Who knew gummy bears could look like that? Interesting review!

message 7: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark I love the gummy bears:)

And how I wish I could get money every time someone asks (shocked and possibly horrified), "You don't like chocolate? Well, maybe you had some bad stuff. What about _________?"

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Your reviews bring me happiness.

Kat Kennedy Michael - your admission brings me happiness!

Miss Clark - I know! It gets me kind of frustrated because it's not my fault that I just don't really have a sweet tooth for anything but Gummy Bears and occasionally mint slices.

LethalLovely~Live Through This and You Won't Look Back Eh, that wasn't so bad! And hilarious as always! Great review & sorry you didn't like it that much!

BTW, I hate gummy bears.*ducks* Any gummy bear that steps in my path is a dead one. And I like chocolate. And ice cream. And eviscerated gummy bears. Die die die!

Kat Kennedy LL, it was pretty alright. I finished up the three books and thoroughly enjoyed the spooky, scary scenes and loved Terrible. So all in all, I'm glad I read it!

HOW COULD YOU HATE GUMMY BEARS?! Oh my goodness, when the Gummy Bear revolution occurs, they'll be coming after you first! :P

message 12: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I'm with LL. Chocolate and ice cream, or chocolate ice cream. Down with gummy bears!

Kat Kennedy what are you all doing bashing me and my gummy bears here, aye? There be hatin' troll in my Fallen review, Dig?

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Naw, just trolling those gummy bears. Do trolls eat gummy bears?

Kat Kennedy Maybe they'd be less stupid if they did! I hear gummy bears are great for intellectual development.

message 16: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH LOL!

message 17: by Dominika (new) - added it

Dominika okay, you're my twin or sth - sweets means for me either mint slices or jelly. mint slices are really not that popular...

message 18: by Dominika (new) - added it

Dominika (well, ok, mint chocolate, but still.)

Barbara (VampAngel) This is in my TBR pile.

I'm just gonna comment on the weird fact that like you, I'm not fond of sweets. I don't care about chocolate nor ice cream and rarely eat them, BUT I adore gummy bears. They are the best. I never met anyone else like me in this aspect, so I'm surprised and please we share that trait.

This is totally a useless comment, isn't it? But it's 7am here and I can't sleep. I'll shut up now...

Kat Kennedy Nobody who loves Gummy Bears could ever make a useless comment to me!

message 22: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Hmmm. I'm a little concerned about what appears to be a gummy bear obsession here. :P

message 23: by Lexa (new) - added it

Lexa Elena, Cat, Kate, Merit or Mercy? I Know Merit.. But The Rest? What Series Are They From? Please Help! :O

message 24: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh, Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost, Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, you know Merit, Mercy Thomson series by Patricia Briggs.

message 25: by Lexa (new) - added it

Lexa Thanks! And They're All Good Series Right?

message 26: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH All good.

message 27: by Teighe (new)

Teighe so, i couldn't get through the first audiobook. the narrator made the broken english sound like characters had cotton balls in their mouths. terrible. but i'm curoious... i know cat from night huntress, which is the series i hold all other paranormal romances up to the light of.... but what books are elena, kate, merit and mercy from?

message 28: by Teighe (new)

Teighe my bad, just saw the comment on the second page!