Christine Williams's Reviews > Breaking Dawn

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Aug 22, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit, young-adult
Read from August 18 to 22, 2010

I had five days left until school started after I finished Fight Club, and my friend and I were in Walmart, and there was the paperback copy for only $11. I said, “Sure, what the heck. I can read 754 pages in five days. That’s nothing.” I did it too.

I’m not the hugest fan of Stephanie Meyer. Actually, I sort of detest her on a level that’s sort of difficult to explain. Part of it is the fact that she has a degree (albiet from the Mormon college but I try not to judge), and she has written these books that sell so well. That was my dream at one point: to write bestsellers, to be a household name like Nora Roberts or Stephen King. Now I’m not so sure. Do I really want to be someone who spits out novels like a candy machine, keeping people addicted? I’d rather be like Harper Lee, write one book that sticks with people for generations, so much so that it’s still read in high schools today.

Here’s the truth of my feelings about the Twilight books: the stories are great, so much so that I can’t put them down, but the shoddy writing style tends to distract me. Meyer has this tendency to create more paragraph breaks than are truly necessary, like they’re supposed to be for emphasis, but they happen so often that the effect is lost. I guess kids can’t read long paragraphs anymore (which is a problem).

Also, her characters are rather under-developed. Bella is not as intelligent as Meyer wants her to be, considering the only book Bella ever reads is Wuthering Heights (which I read my junior year of high school). Bella constantly complains that she hates being a teenager, that she’s never really been a teenager because of taking care of her mom, but it’s just irritating to me. If she was really so mature, she would still have a will of her own, a life outside of her boyfriend. I don’t care how much you love someone, you should always remain your own separate person. Bella is whiney: in the third book, I had to put it down for a few hours to stop seething, because she was complaining about being away from Edward for a whole three hours a day. Trying being separated for whole months of difficult college semesters, as one of my friends had to deal with two years ago—that’s hardship.

My friends kept telling me that the fourth book got better, but I didn’t believe them. Now I see how right they were. It’s as if Meyer sat down to write the fourth book and actually decided to use at least a fraction of her potential as a writer. Perhaps it’s because the events in Breaking Dawn are much more exciting than the previous three books combined, but I found it no trouble to read 150 pages a day of it until I finally finished it this afternoon. Bella’s perspective seemed much more mature in the fourth book, as did her relationship with Edward. The writing improved as well, probably because Meyer was so excited about writing the intense situations in the last installment of her book. I think my favorite part of the book was how she inserted an entire chunk of the book that was only from Jacob’s perspective. Jacob has his flaws too, but it was refreshing to really understand how he was feeling. He’s less whiney, even though he has something to whine about (since Bella treats him like crap). I have to say though, my favorite part was when Bella “spewed a fountain of blood.” It just makes me laugh. Sorry.

I realized that the reason I hate Stephanie Meyer stems from one of my pet peeves with people in general. I knew this girl in high school who frustrated me so much. She whined about all the homework we got in AP classes, even though she chose to take the classes. She wasn’t stupid; in fact, her ACT scores were higher than mine. The problem with this girl was that she took things for granted and refused to apply herself, leaving a lot of wasted potential that others would kill for. That’s how I feel about Stephanie Meyer: she has editors, and plenty of people willing to help her, and she is clearly powerful enough to publish a load of shit and still get paid big money for it. She just wastes all this potential for storytelling, for writing in general, to make bestsellers for whine teenage girls. That’s why I’ll never be her. Thank God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Dawn.

08/18/2010 "Only because I have to finish the series to fully understand how terrible it is."
08/19/2010 page 206
27.0% "This. Is. Pathetic. Yet I can't stop."