Keri's Reviews > Libertine's Kiss

Libertine's Kiss by Judith James

Jan 19, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed, romance-historical, various-authors, ntm-author, 2010s-read
Read from January 24 to February 08, 2011

While not my favorite time to read in romance history this was a good book. Elizabeth and William met as children and quickly became good friends. Elizabeth knew that there were issues as William's home, but never knew the truth until years later. As he goes off to school, he promises Lizzy that he will be back for her. But as Lizzy is eventually married off to a horrible man, she soon looses hope that she will ever see her friend again. But one night a wounded man stumbles to her door and it is none other than her William. But he doesn't recognize Lizzy and she never speaks the truth. William moves on the next day, never knowing what devastation he leaves behind. Now Lizzy has come to the court of the new King to try and petition for her lands back. She is soon rescued by Lord Rivers who is none other than her sweet William. Although now he is not so sweet, as a matter of fact he is a rake and a drunk. Can Elizabeth find her true love again?

The romance was satisfactory, but felt the ending wrapped his problems up too quickly. Will had some major issues that really didn't get dealt with as much as swept under the rug. As well as Lizzies', I felt she needed to let Will know just what she had to deal with under her marriage to Ben. Or the ending was rushed or something. The book was good right up until the very end and it just fell flat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Libertine's Kiss.

02/08/2011 page 200
52.0% "This has been pretty good. Not one of my favorite romantic time periods to read in." 2 comments

message 1: by seton (new) - added it

seton i tried reading this a while ago and it didnt grab me so i threw it back on the TBR pile

Keri Seton, if you can stay with it, you might like it more than I did. If she would have beefed up the ending with some substance, it would have been a much better book.