Niki's Reviews > Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food

Eating Mindfully by Susan Albers

Sep 01, 10

Read from August 18 to September 01, 2010

I really enjoyed this book, and it's a quick and easy read. It reads like a novel but also as a kind of how-to manual, with many different exercises that one can adapt and apply to his/her own life and eating habits.
I think what I liked most was the approach. This is not a diet book with recipes. It doesn't tell you what you should or should not be eating. Instead it is an encouragement to approach the foods that you put in your body with awareness, mindfulness, purpose.
Not everything in this book will apply to every person. We all have our own issues about food, body image, exercise, etc. But the overall theme is pretty simple and applies to everyone. Be mindful. Pay attention to the sensations you experience while you are eating, to the stories you tell yourself about "good" or "bad" foods, to what your emotional experience is before, during and after eating. Do you bargain with yourself before you eat something? Do you reward or punish yourself afterward?
Of course, being mindful doesn't apply only to food, and it's pretty easy to see as you read through the book that you can apply the mindfulness concept to any part of your life. I found myself thinking about cigarettes and how I often deliberately choose to engage in smoking mindlessly because I don't WANT to think about what my body really wants while I am smoking. I think as I try to gain control over quitting smoking in the next few weeks, I will consciously try to apply the mindfulness techniques that are included in this book.
I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Super easy to read, and yet a lot of deep stuff that can be read repeatedly and practiced on one's own. I got mine from the library, but it would be nicer to own a book like this so you can revisit passages and exercises.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Mindfully.

08/18/2010 page 32