Margo Berendsen's Reviews > Rodrick Rules

Rodrick Rules by Jeff Kinney

Aug 18, 10

bookshelves: 2010-my-reads, contemporary, middle-grade
Read in August, 2010

I've been picking up the books in this series for my reluctant nine year old reader, but the whole family loves them - from my husband to my 15 year old step-daughter down to my 6 year old daughter. These are the only books that the nine-year-old girl, who hates to read, will keep reading on her own without me pushing her. They are the funniest things I've read since Calvin and Hobbes. But if you don't like "bathroom humor" you might not like these... it's not all about farting, throwing-up, and other bodily functions, but there's a lot of it.

Here's what had me rolling on the bed last night as I read this to my girls (with my husband pretending not to listen but then he started laughing too)

The family starts trickling in [for Thanksgiving:]... and Uncle Joe and his kids were the last ones to show up. [comic of the youngest kid greeting our hero's dad "Hi Aunt Fwank!":]

Mom thinks it's really cute, but Dad swears that Uncle Joe tells his kids to do it on purpose.

Things are pretty tense between Dad and Uncle Joe because Dad is still mad at Uncle Joe for something he did LAST Thanksgiving. Back then, Manny had just started potty training, and was doing pretty good. In fact, he was probably about two weeks from being out of diapers. But Uncle Joe said something to Manny that changed everything.

[comic of Uncle Joe standing in the doorway of the bathroom, telling Manny: "Better look out for the Potty Monster, little fella! Expression of horror on kid's face as he stares at the open toilet]

It was six months before Manny would even step foot in the bathroom again. Every time Dad chaned a dirty diaper after that, I heard him cursing Uncle Joe under his breath.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rodrick Rules.