Julia's Reviews > The Beautiful and Damned

The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald

19036
May 27, 2007

Read in June, 2007

Fitzgerald left me gasping for breath, depressed at the end of the novel. The demise of Gloria and Anthony Patch and their ill-fated relationship incredibly drawn out. But the intricacies of each character is highly developed. I thought I was actually friends with these characters. It's an excellent read though it's not the most action-packed. I loved the dense descriptives, and the way he portrays Gloria's vanity: "Beauty is only to be admired, only to be loved -- to be harvested carefully and then flung at a chosen lover like a gift of roses. It seems to me, so far as I can judge clearly at all, that my beauty should be used like that... " (329).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beautiful and Damned.

Fleech I felt the exactly the same way! I couldn't help but feel sympathetic to Gloria. She got stuck with an unmotivated man, and didn't get the acting part she wanted. If the couple had not won the case against Shuttleworth, I predict that their demise would have followed shortly after. I loved Gloria's quote, and to contrast that it: "Added to this was the wretched aura of stale wine with its inevitable suggestion of beauty gone foul and revelry remembered in disgust" (270).