Riley's Reviews > The Life You've Imagined

Sep 29, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: 2010
Read from September 11 to 21, 2010

Note: I first took interest in this book because it revolves around a small family-owned store and the people connected to it. Growing up the daughter of small business owners, I totally understood that setting, and I was curious to see it expressed in fiction. Riggle did bring that aspect to life, and believably, even though the store was not the focal point of the story, and the characters' experiences with it were different from mine with my parents'.

The first two-thirds of this book is a slow build; the last third kept me gripped to the very last page. I'll be honest, I liked Cami and Amy better than Anna or Maeve, but I see how the characters all needed each other to make this story work. Riggle did a great job weaving their perspectives (although I probably would have preferred not to have 3 different first-person present tense POVs - that's so much to take!). Despite the intricate structure, the prose was well-crafted and easy to read.

My favorite 2 scenes were with Amy and Paul, and Amy and Maddie, and both brought me to tears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life You've Imagined.