Keli's Reviews > The Brothers Torres

The Brothers Torres by Coert Voorhees

Aug 27, 10

bookshelves: action, moral-choices, power, psychological, relationships, romance, self-image, young-adult
Read from August 18 to 27, 2010

I really wanted to like this book. I offers up an underrespresented voice in literature. But the author was too cognizant of this. Too often the narrator descirbes what it's like where he lives. So that rather than being drawn into it, the reader is left feeling like a tourist. The use of Spanglish was charming and added to authenticy of the book. But the characters were flat archetypes, especially the beautiful and sweet love interest. We never find out what exactly is going on with the older brother Steve and why he's making the choices that he's making. The respect angle feels a little weak as the setting is a small town without many gangs and, though they might have some serious social issues, it's not particularly hard. I understand that the book was focused on the younger brother, Frankie, and his reactions to his brother. But without understanding where Steve is coming from, it's very difficult to connect too deeply with the characters.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Torres.