Silvana's Reviews > On the Road

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: bookmooch, shitty-books, used-to-own
Read from August 13 to 21, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Road.

08/16/2011 page 28
9.0% "fun, exhilarating ride so far!"
08/17/2011 page 105
35.0% "Getting weirder. I like the road parts much better than the (weird) non-road parts."
08/17/2011 page 128
42.0% "Dammit where's the solo trip part? Sal's friends are so boring, their stories are tedious."
08/21/2011 page 235
77.0% "Getting a bit more enjoyable but still weird. That Dean guy, omg what a loser."
08/21/2011 page 304
100.0% "Definitely below expectation. Not my cuppa tea."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Coqueline Tumben, Sil ga baca perang2an... hehehe

Silvana hehe cape juga kalo baca perang mulu say.
skrg gue lagi suka baca2 buku travel nih

Coqueline Hehehe... Let me now what you think of the book when you're finished. It's one of my favourites from last year's read.

Silvana Just finished it. The travel part is eclipsed by Sal and his friends' antic behavior. I don't mind the carefree, devil-may-care feeling this book offers, but the way he described the "adventures" and the "adventures" themselves bored me. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

message 5: by Ajeng (new)

Ajeng Ouch, 1 star? Really? And this was listed as Time's 100 best book of all time. Bleeeh... hehe ga jadi baca deh kalo gtu... ^^

Silvana kayaknya ini.tipe buku yg either you hate it or lovr it. gw sih trus terang ga dpt apa2 dr buku i

Coqueline Nobody died in battle, eh Silvana? ;p Hehehehe....

Silvana well my hope for splendid read died :))

Coqueline But not gloriously enough, I presume. :D

message 10: by Ajeng (new)

Ajeng Seriously questioning Time's book reviewers. There are many 1 star reviews on this book it turned out...

message 11: by Coqueline (last edited Aug 23, 2011 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Coqueline It was one of the zeitgeist books - the book was a pioneer on the genre when it came out. The book was written in the 1940s just after WWII when young people had just started to feel their identity as a young person and not a junior version of their parents and rebelled against it. The money Sal collected from his army duty during the war enabled him to live the way he did, which was also the first time a young person can live independently and have time to experience life. I felt the book's spirit captured this newfound feeling of freedom really well, including the confusion it can cause some people (as characterised by some of Sal's friends).

I loved this book for this reason. But there are other books on the Time's list I would grudgingly give 1 star as well.

message 12: by Ajeng (new)

Ajeng I supposed the historical context needs to be taken into account then. Btw Coqueline, I live in Nijmegen at the moment... big storm here atm :p A treat of Dutch weather :)

message 13: by Coqueline (last edited Aug 23, 2011 03:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Coqueline Yup, same here. Lekker weer! (NOT) ;p

message 14: by Ajeng (new)

Ajeng This is actually the typical Indonesian rainstorm. Makes me miss home :D
Thanks for approving!

message 15: by Ardita (new)

Ardita Baru tahu ada diskusi ini, kelamaan di Twitter :D Agustus kemaren malah baca Dai Sijie dan Douglas Coupland.

Silvana what's your twitter acc?