Susie's Reviews > The Elegance of the Hedgehog

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

Mar 02, 11

bookshelves: book-club
Read from February 22 to March 01, 2011

All the other people in my book club were much more sympathetic to the main characters than I was. I had a difficult time liking Renee. I thought she was a bit of a miserable toad. When you find out in the latter stages of the book what motivates her, you have a little more sympathy for her, but you read most of the book about a very resentful, jealous, and somewhat vindictive character. Kakuro deserves better than her, and his interest in her makes no sense to me.

Young Paloma is too young to understand how her thoughts don't hold water. As she writes down her observances, she learns the lessons that she needs to learn. I don't buy that she is just a younger Renee - Renee is old enough and is well read enough to have more insight.

Did I like it? Not really. I found it took too long to get to the story, and that it talked down to me a little. And I hated the ending. The ending, I am to understand, is to illustrate that sometimes, when you think that things are looking up, shit happens. She was about to change her life and then....... I think that it better illustrates that life is short, and dumpy, ugly concierges who have hidden from the world all their lives have wasted theirs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elegance of the Hedgehog.