Chrissy's Reviews > The Celtic Book of Seasonal Meditations

bookshelves: mythology, celtic-studies, 2010
Recommended for: Neo-Druids and OBODers
Read on August 17, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1
BCID: 8445199

Nice to see a book from a neopagan publisher include so much mythology and tradition. However, it's presented through a Neo-Druid lens so you have the three groups (bard, ovate and druid), four elements, eight festivals it makes mention of the tree calendar, and the Maiden, Mother, Crone trinity is featured prominently. All of which, I could have done without but it isn't as terribly annoying as it normally would be. I guess that's because I knew beforehand that Claire Hamilton is a member of OBOD, so I knew what to expect.

What did annoy me—as it often does in these book that combine Gaelic and Brythonic traditions into one—is a mixing of terminology. For example, on page 80 where the author is talking about "The Three Divinatory Practices" (all of which are Irish) she uses the word awen (a Welsh word meaning inspiration -- which she also misdefines as "watchers"). In fact, when using any native words not once did she point out the country of origin for that word, leaving the reader to guess. That's bad form to me, but then again, I expect too much.

I think this book had the right idea but could still have used some serious guidance.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Celtic Book of Seasonal Meditations.

message 1: by Caisin (new)

Caisin I'm glad to see your review of this. I picked the book up a number of years ago and gave it a quick scan. I actually brought it to campus with me to read more in depth this term, but I probably won't waste my precious little leisure reading time on it now.

Chrissy Laura wrote: "I'm glad to see your review of this. I picked the book up a number of years ago and gave it a quick scan. I actually brought it to campus with me to read more in depth this term, but I probably won..."

The myth stuff is pretty good, so if I were you, since you bought it already and it would be a shame to have wasted that money, I'd just stick to the myth entries.

Maya I was thinking of buying this but now I'm not going to bother lol.

Chrissy Maya wrote: "I was thinking of buying this but now I'm not going to bother lol."

It's tough to find anything published these days that doesn't include Neo-Druid ideas. This is why our community of polytheists really should get those pens (or fingers) a'writin! And this includes me, but I am! I'm hoping to have something out next year.

message 5: by Maya (last edited Aug 20, 2010 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya Oooooh! You tell me as soon as it is out and I will buy it. Your research I trust lol.

Maybe we can even do something together later, you write and I do the research lol.

Maya Beleive it or not my uncles sent me a few new books, one of which is this. I'm going to read it because I never get a book that I don't read. Oh well lol.

Chrissy What else did he send? ;) Oh, speaking of which, I have something for you! *runs to email*

Maya Another book by the same author and Irish Beliefs by Kevin Danaher. By the by nothing arrived lol.

Chrissy 'Irish Customs and Beliefs' by Danaher? If so, I have that same book :) I got lucky and found Danaher's 'Long Ago in Ireland' book on PaperbackSwap the other day. I hope my request for it gets approved. And yes, I know. I got so wrapped up into getting some stuff done for October that I forgot to email ya. Doing that now!!

message 10: by Maya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maya It is the same one indeed.