Rhianon's Reviews > Summer

Summer by D.J. Manly

Aug 17, 10

bookshelves: m-m, romance
Read on August 17, 2010

Very emotional romance that begins as summer love between the housekeeper's son and the millionaire mogul's heir.
It will pull your heart-strings. In a good way.

It would've gotten five stars, except for a couple niggling points: 2/3 of the way through the story, the POV switches from one lead to the other. And it only stays that way for perhaps two or three scenes, then switches back for the remainder of the book. I could have done without that, entirely. The story would've lost nothing if that section had been cut, and losing it would contribute greatly to continuity and flow.
Another niggling detail was the careless flux of tenses; switching back and forth for flashbacks is all fine and dandy, but as a writer you have to make damned sure that you edit the hell out of it and make certain it switches back when it should. Smoothly, so as not to jolt the reader out of the story entirely. For the most part, Manly succeeds beautifully at this, but the few flaws I noticed weren't ones I could easily forgive.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer.

message 1: by Nicci (new) - added it

Nicci I'm a sucker for this kind of story. Despite reviews indicating character's head hopping writing style, I'm giving this one a read.

Rhianon I definitely enjoyed it despite the flaws. This is one of Manly's more emotive, character-centric stories, light on plot and deliberately so, thankfully. It lets the reader focus on the emotional journey the characters go through.
I'm sure you'll like it.