Denise's Reviews > The Hundred-Foot Journey

The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais

F_50x66
Aug 17, 10

The Hundred-Foot Journey is the story of Hassan Haji, a young Indian boy who grows up above his grandfather's restaurant in Mumbai. A tragic incident prompts his family to flee to France were Hassan shows an unexpected talent and taste for haute cuisine. The novel follows his ensuing career as a chef and the fate of his family in France.

The first part of the book centers on Hassan's family, his history and the importance of food in his life. The writing is lush, very descriptive of the tastes, smells, and sights. The characters are interesting and the plot is fast-paced. However, after Hassan becomes a chef the thread of the story changes. The second half of the book is mostly about the politics of the restaurant world in France. The star system of ranking, the changes in haute cuisine, and the hierarchy among chefs. I didn't like this part nearly as well and I felt like Hassan's progress was stagnant. He seems to stop developing much as a person after a certain point.

Still, a pleasant, easy read and not bad at all for a first novel. I'll be interested to see what Richard Morais writes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred-Foot Journey.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Kate I very much agree with this review.