Wendy's Reviews > Navy Husband (Navy #6)

Navy Husband (Navy #6) by Debbie Macomber

Aug 20, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: library-book, 2010, romance, fiction
Read from August 18 to 20, 2010, read count: 1

This is my first Debbie Macomber, and it hit most of the right notes for a category romance, but overall it was just okay. It was quite bland, with thinly-drawn characters and scarcely any conflict and absolutely no Peril™. There are two love stories for the price of one, here, and we jump between the two of them from chapter to chapter. This revolving-door narrative didn't bother me - I felt like I got a bonus, actually - but I think there had to be two stories because there wasn't enough going on in either relationship to fill a whole book, even a slim Silhouette.

The catalyst for one relationship is a precocious child, who is a better-developed character than any of the adults. Such conflict as there is, is provided by the Navy, which separates one couple and forbids the other (who are serving on the same ship) from connecting. Apart these forced separations, there's not much real conflict. There is some jerk-head behaviour based on incomplete information, jumping to conclusions, and stubbornness, as one expects from categories.

That said, I teared up at the second proposal scene. But I'm pretty easy that way; I used to tear up at long-distance commercials.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Navy Husband (Navy #6).