Scarlett Sims's Reviews > The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag

The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag by Robert A. Heinlein

Sep 01, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, leisure, science-fiction, mystery
Read from August 17 to September 01, 2010

I wish Goodreads had a 10-point scale because I kind of want to give this 3.5 stars. I give 4 to the main novel, but the short stories included are kind of hit/miss.

Anyway the main novel is quite interesting. Picture Mad Men fusing with a Steven Moffat episode of Doctor Who. It fuses mystery and science fiction really well and Heinlein also makes some interesting observations about humanity. I was kind of blown away when he pointed out that humans have made an art out of providing our bodies with energy. Now I'll talk about the short stories:

"The Man Who Traveled in Elephants:" This one was ok--I think I know where he was going with it and I liked the characters but I didn't love the story.

""--All You Zombies--":" I think Chuck Palahniuk must have read this before writing Invisible Monsters. Probably my favorite of the short stories in this volume.

"They:" This probably isn't the worst story of it's type and it may even be an earlier example, but as an early 21st century reader the ending is just too obvious.

"Our Fair City:" I just didn't get this story at all.

""--And He Built a Crooked House--":" I quite liked this one as well. Even though I'm pretty sure it made no sense I liked the concept of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag.