Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > Dead Reckoning

Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris

*3.5 of 5 Stars*

I am a long-time fan of the Sookie Stackhouse series. In this series, Charlaine Harris has created a fascinating new world full of magic, shape-shifters, faeries, and of course, vampires. The heroine of the series, Sookie is a telepath who walks the line between the world of humans and the supernaturals. Over the last 10 books, Sookie has had a lot of hard knocks, but she keeps on ticking. After book 10, I was a little disappointed. The book did not feel the same caliber as the others, but I was hopeful for this book, Dead Reckoning.

In Dead Reckoning, Eric and Pam are at odds about something, vampire politics creates tension and strain throughout the book, and Sookie is in danger yet again. I enjoyed this book more than book 10, Dead in the Family, but it still seemed to be missing something. I still felt as if the story is setting up for something big (as with Dead in the Family) but that something big hasn’t happened. There are strong hints as to what may happen in the future between Sookie and Eric, and some faery drama is in motion as well.

I really did like much about this book. Sam played a strong role in Dead Reckoning, and he and Sookie’s friendship was solidified and strengthened. The faery elements to Dead Reckoning were intriguing. Sookie finally gets some answers about her “family” relations, and discovers some surprising information that could drastically affect her future. These parts of the story were excellent, new, and interesting.

The relationship between Eric and Sookie has sadly lost the sparkle. I had been an Eric fan, but in the last two books, he has not been the same. I don’t know if is because of his situation in the books, or I’m just over the character, but either way I am very sad that this relationship is turning sour. I was very happy to see Amelia, but her appearance was not what I expected at all, and I was sad and confused at how that story line went. Amelia’s actions did not match her character from previous books. The same goes for Alcide. Alcide was only briefly in the book, and his actions were so out of character that I was shocked. It just didn’t make sense, and added more disappointment to this book.

I had a difficult time figuring out how to rate this book. I really enjoyed some parts, and was completely disappointed in others. I find that I am still hopeful for the next book, anticipating that “big change” that is brewing for Sookie and the other characters. I still recommend this series to urban fantasy and paranormal fans. My favorite book in the series is book 4, Dead to the World.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Reckoning.