Margaret's Reviews > Sandry's Book

Sandry's Book by Tamora Pierce

Aug 17, 10

bookshelves: children-s-and-ya-fiction, fantasy-and-science-fiction, authors-op
Read in December, 2006, read count: 2

When I first read these in 2005, I'd been meaning to get around to Tamora Pierce for a long time, as she's so often mentioned as a great YA fantasy author. I happened to pick up the Circle of Magic books (Sandry's Book, Tris's Book, Daja's Book, Briar's Book) first, largely because I found one used somewhere (Pierce seems hard to find used, perhaps due to popularity). The series is about a group of four children who each have a different magical talent; they're each discovered by the mage Niko and taken to the Winding Circle community, where they're brought together and form a deep friendship.

The magic is unusual and interesting, but it's the relationship between the children, and also between the children and their mentors, which really made the books for me. Each book focuses on one of the young mages, whose very different personalities are delineated vividly, but all of the books show their developing relationship. I also liked that the children trust the adults who mentor them, and the adults actually help the children; the adults' support makes a big difference in several of the magical conflicts. I do get tired of the common "adults just don't understand/are all against us/never listen to us" thing (*ahem* Harry Potter *ahem*), and it was nice to see a different kind of relationship here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sandry's Book.