Lauren Hidden's Reviews > Raising Jake

Raising Jake by Charlie Carillo

Aug 17, 10

Read in August, 2009

Raising Jake is a story about a divorced father (Sammy), his 17-year old son (Jake), and their weekend adventure, which changes the course of their lives, and those of the characters they encounter. At the beginning of the story, Sammy is a rather lost, working as a rewriter at the New York Star, not liking his job but feeling trapped by his financial responsibilities--including sending his son to a private school. A phone call from the school one Friday puts the plot in motion as father and son struggle to learn more about each other and their respective childhoods.

The writing is excellent, as is the pacing of the story. The majority of the time, the characters seemed very real, only twice did I find scenes to be a little too over the top...one with Sammy, Danny, and Jake, when they expressed some very deep and seemingly out of character emotions, and the second was toward the end of the book with a flashback conversation between Jake, his mother, and Sammy when Jake was 5. The dialogue seemed too mature and insightful for a 5-year-old (or at least the ones I've known). And frankly, you need a pretty healthy suspension of disbelief for all the characters Sammy and Jake meet over their fateful weekend.

Despite those items just mentioned, the book is still excellent. I found the flashbacks added to the book rather than distracting from it. The characters had enough character flaws that they were believable, and the author kept me engaged with the pacing of the action and the unfolding of the stories of the characters' lives. An important lesson from this book is that it's never too late to heal from the past and move on.

Carillo is a gifted storyteller and I hope to read more titles by him. Read Raising Jake. It's time well-spent.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raising Jake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Candy I loved this book too... great review!

message 2: by Charlie (new)

Charlie Carillo thanks for the kind words lauren. my first two published novels are now available on amazon kindle - “shepherd avenue” and “my ride with gus”, each $2.99

Lauren Hidden Thanks for responding, Charlie! I just looked them up quickly on Amazon and they're both now only $.99...what a bargain! I just bought Shepherd Avenue. I'll be sure to post a review after I finish reading it. Keep on writing! :)