Lauren Hidden's Reviews > Mrs. Kimble

Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh

Aug 17, 2010

Read in December, 2009

This book was given to me some time ago by a friend and has been sitting on my shelf for quite a while. I finally pulled it out and started reading it...I read the whole thing in about a 15-hour span (not including sleeping for the night!). This book totally engrossed me...the tale of 3 (sequential) wives of the same man...a man charming to all those he meets, yet a chameleon who seems utterly empty. Each woman he marries seems vulnerable for one reason or another (one is naive, one is recovering from a serious illness, another extremely self-conscious). Each woman struggles for explaining her husband's behavior, even making up excuses for his behavior to others. But Ken made no apologies for his actions.

This book was extremely well-written, and got even more engaging the longer I read it. Ken's character seems utterly believable--most women I know have run across someone like him. Why did he do what he did? Who knows. But the book is less about the consistent character--Ken--and more about how each of these women entered into a relationship with him, realized it wasn't as they anticipated, and resigned themself to that life anyway. I found myself wondering what I would have done if I was each Mrs. Kimble.

Highly recommended!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Kimble.