Eh?Eh!'s Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Aug 18, 10

bookshelves: babble-added
Read from August 17 to 18, 2010

With 97 holds on 53 copies of this book in my local library system and just 6 days before the release of #3, I was kicking myself for waiting so long to pick up this series. Oops. But then...DID I KNOW THE AUDIOBOOK COULD BE DOWNLOADED OFF THE LIBRARY WEBSITE NO BUT NOW I DO AND YAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

-----------

My first audiobook and I'm disappointed, with the audio and the book.

Book - #1 in the series presented Katniss as a kicka** heroine, strong, resourceful, no nonsense, smart, and practical about her loyalty in that it was blind for her loved ones but she would use others in her blindness; I like that, in a fictional character. #2 gets into the beginning of the rebellion against the Capitol (not a spoiler, c'mon, it's pretty clear the story was going that way) and Katniss is now constantly confused. She blurts stupid things, acts without thinking much, and most of all she misreads everyone. Luckily for the story and the other fictional characters, everyone is aware of this and keeps her in the dark about certain things. Still, I wanted her to be more heroic and less baffled, despite the situation.

Audio - The reading voice...wasn't right for this book. The reader's rendition of the dialogue is terrible. She had excellent enunciation, too excellent such that her attempts at accents sounded as if she was making fun of regional dialects instead of introducing a new person. Was Katniss supposed to do that slight drawl of certain vowels that conveys entitlement, complaint, and whine? Did all the men sound that doofy? It didn't match the voices I heard in my head as I read #1. My post-apocalyptic voices are flatter, wearier. I should stick to paper.

Since I half-listened to this while working, I missed all the details, twists, new names, and the entire drive of the plotline about the ramping up of the rebellion. I heard the tone (thus my dislike of the reader's voice) and certain words tugged at my ears, like "blood" and "stab." I completely missed the subtext, and I'm sure there were terrific comparisons to current world governments and economy. I need to read this. On paper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Philip Sheesh... when I first read this, I thought it was a review FOR the third one... I had to shield my eyes. I think I'm just so hyped up about its release.

I've run into that problem with audio books too. Some work, some don't.

I liked the first one more though too...

The Crimson Fucker ha! you think you have it bad??? after reading your review of the firts one i added it too... look at my status!

The Hunger Games
   by Collins, Suzanne. Miami Lakes Branch Library Active (since 8/16/2010) 46 of 46

Copies Available: 0 (of 1) System Availability 0 (of 1)

next year i'ma be making a mean review of this shit!

polka.

Eh?Eh! 46 holds on 1 copy??? Why can't your library order more??? It's a bestseller and has had lots of publicity. Your library is weak sauce.

Philip, right on. I'm excited for the next one, too!

The Crimson Fucker i live in fucking Hialeah!!! the hometown to the chongas! what else you expected!!!?

Eh?Eh! Chongas probably read! They would love this!

The Crimson Fucker Eh! Bridge-Humper wrote: "Chongas probably read! They would love this!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

i'ma leave the computer and let my resident senior chonga expert Hell, tell you a few words!

Helenn Alright, here how it is:

A) Chongas do not read unless it is one of the very few selective articles in magazine and almost all of them are in Spanish.

B) Chongas will never go anywhere near a library unless a pollo tropical (or other hispanic food place) is near by.

C) The fact that there is one of those book in the library is a miracle and you should settled and be happy. If you want you can send a letter to request the book like the nice manga kids.

Eh?Eh! Thank you, senior chonga expert Helenn! I didn't know...I want them to read this book still. It'll be my dream.

Alfonso, when I searched the Miami-Dade Public Library system (not just your Miami Lakes Branch Library) for "hunger games," there were 9 results. Result number 8 says there are 36 copies with 15 holds. Odds are good that you can be hold #16 and receive it soon. Don't be limited just to your own branch! Make a request and have it transferred from a different library! It's so easy and you'll get to read it!

The Crimson Fucker wait! how do i do that!? i'm new at this!!! treat me like if i were a retarded 5 year old!

message 10: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Aug 18, 2010 05:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eh?Eh! Do you have your library card on hand? This might work: http://catalog.mdpls.org/Search/reque...

The Crimson Fucker it says an error has occurred... buaaaaaaaa. and yes, i have my card right here!

Eh?Eh! Hmm. Okay. Go to your local branch, and ask one of the library workers/volunteers to place a hold on it for you. Say you know there's only one in that building but is there one in the county or something that can be reserved?

The Crimson Fucker i can do that!!! i'ma be returning some dexter dvds tomorrow! yay!!!! thank you EH! you are the coolest!

Eh?Eh! Btw, the book you listed in msg 2 is the large print edition. Go to your library website again, search "hunger games," and scroll DOWN to result number 8. That's the one you want. There are 36 copies.

8. The hunger games Add to My List
by Collins, Suzanne.
... The hunger games / Suzanne Collins. ...

Publisher, Date: New York : Scholastic Press, c2008.

Description: 374 p. ; 22 cm.

Copies Available: 0 (of 36) System Availability 0 (of 36)

ISBN: 9780439023481

Summary: In a future North America, where the rulers of Panem maintain control through an annual televised survival competition pitting young people from each of the twelve districts against one another, sixteen-year-old Katniss's skills are put to the test when she voluntarily takes her younger sister's place.
Total System Copies Owned: 36
Current Holds: 15

Eh?Eh! Alfonso wrote: "i can do that!!! i'ma be returning some dexter dvds tomorrow! yay!!!! thank you EH! you are the coolest!"

You're welcome!

Newengland Why wait for the library queues? These books are loss leaders everywhere you look. Mockingjay is what, 52% off at amazon?

Eh?Eh! Support your local library!

Philip I got Mockingjay through scholastic, so I got a free pin to boot. I've been wearing it on my name-tag at school and the kids love it.

Am I allowed to agree with both Eh! and Newengland?

Sparrow Audio?!!! So sad. :'( Just in case you're ever tempted, never never never listen to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close on audio. That's the only other one I can think of right now. Oh, Toni Morrison needs to drink some water, so I'd say avoid her, too.

message 20: by Eh?Eh! (last edited Aug 18, 2010 06:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eh?Eh! Philip wrote: "Am I allowed to agree with both Eh! and Newengland?"

You can agree with the sentiments of both, but I don't know if it's possible to act for both. Order cheaply from amazon and please yourself? Or wait patiently for the library copy (there are 36!) and justify further funding, because someone's out there crunching the numbers and analyzing demand.

Eh?Eh! Hah! Does Toni Morrison hack and clear her dry throat directly into the microphone? Yeah, I think audio isn't for me.

Nice crying ASCII.

Philip Well, I mean... I buy a LOT of books... but I also get a lot of books from the library... I don't know too many other people who have their 14 digit card number memorized... (I know I've mentioned that other places... yes I'm just trying to drop it so I can brag a little bit...

Eh?Eh! Philip wrote: "I don't know too many other people who have their 14 digit card number memorized"

I do! At least, the one I use most. I had a thing about memorizing all my digits when I was younger so I memorized bank account numbers, credit card numbers, phone numbers (no one seems to do that anymore, with cell phones). Although, I've forgotten most of them.

Philip We rock.

Helenn Fonso... thats how i thought you to do it. What happen? how did you ended up checking only our library??

The Crimson Fucker Helenn wrote: "Fonso... thats how i thought you to do it. What happen? how did you ended up checking only our library??"

i dont know!!! i'm stupid!!!! i'm new at this!!!! i said treat me like a retarded 5 year old!!! buaaaaaaaaaaa i'm not stupid!!!

Eh?Eh! Helenn, he was looking at the availability of the large print edition and there was only one copy. But maybe it would've been better if he'd gone ahead and placed a hold on that? When he got it, a couple years later, it would've been a good lesson, heh.

Brian, it means kickask.

message 28: by Reese (new)

Reese I loved your complaints about the audio.

Eh?Eh! Hey Reese, which audiobook failed you?

message 30: by Reese (new)

Reese I'm a paper reader. Only once (years ago) have I listened to an audiobook. It was nonfiction, and the reader's voice was good enough to keep me interested in the work. But for a variety of reasons (e.g., my "need" to analyze, my desire to control the way that I experience a work, my resistance to living in the twenty-first century), I'd much rather look at a page than listen to a reader (especially if the work is fiction).

I should tell you that my attitude toward audiobooks had nothing to do with my appreciation of your comments about them. Your writing style, your use of details, the sharpness of your assessments -- those elements of the review account for my remark.

Ellen Reese wrote: "I'm a paper reader. Only once (years ago) have I listened to an audiobook. It was nonfiction, and the reader's voice was good enough to keep me interested in the work. But for a variety of reasons..."

I'm not a good enough listener for audiobooks, plus it still feels like cheating. When I read, I have to fill in the voices and intonations.

When someone reads to me, they are, in essence, interpreting the book and closing down other interpretations. A line that might be somewhat ambivalent, is resolutely cynical or perhaps cheerful when read. The array of choices you have when reading are erased by the voice that reads.

message 32: by Reese (new)

Reese Amen.

message 33: by Ellen (last edited Aug 19, 2010 06:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ellen Yes, I've listened to lectures and other nonfiction, but I sure don't want to listen to someone interpreting Virginia Woolf or Margaret Atwood, because that's what someone who reads does - he/she decides how a line should be interpreted and what tone to use.

Eh?Eh! Thank you so much, Reese! I agree, Ellen.

I blabbered on about being read to aloud somewhere - sometimes, I just want the tone. From a parent, friend, or partner. It's soothing, something like a mother's wordless humming. But when it comes to reading a book for knowledge or entertainment, I learned with this book that audio is bad for me.

Mariel Chandra's review also lamented the reader of the audio book. I'm glad that I read this one myself (my pet gator still loves The Hunger Games the best).

message 36: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily The voice on the audio book is very bad! I totally agree!