Lana.'s Reviews > Carrie Pilby

Carrie Pilby by Caren Lissner

F 50x66
Aug 18, 10

bookshelves: thought-provoking, fiction
Recommended for: nerds, geeks, freaks - those who are unique
Read from August 16 to 18, 2010, read count: 1

"I want to do what's right.
I also want to be happy.
Is it necessary for these two things to be exclusive?"

I did not like Carrie Pilby. Between her sarcasm and harsh judgments, I couldn't see why she would consider herself deserving consideration or kindness. But I kept reading - maybe because I soon realised that the loneliness and depression that she felt is something I (and most people) could identify with.

Carrie is a teen genius with high moral standards. Living in New York after graduating from Harvard has been a series of disappointments. She has rejected most social contact because a) everyone she's met is a hypocrite, and/or b) they do not accept her for who she is. She would love to stay a hermit, but her therapist (who is also her father's friend) has other plans: A to-do list that has her interacting with the world.

What follows is a lot of questions. And I end up liking Carrie - because she's willing to finally consider them.

Caren Lissner has created a very dynamic character who does make me laugh - in her joys and idiosyncracies - but I do not see the "Hilarious!" from New York Times review. More fitting: entertaining, smart, quirky, playful, hopeful, and at times deep. Harlequin has come a long way.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrie Pilby.