Caitlin Constantine's Reviews > Blindness

Blindness by José Saramago

Aug 17, 2010

Just fantastic. A dystopic novel that didn't leave me mired in depression (at least, not too much depression), a sharp analysis of the need for cooperation and collaboration and a refutation of the idea that we can all survive as individuals who do our own thing with no regard for others. Plus I thought it was beautifully written, especially once I managed to overlook the unorthodox way of punctuation (lots of commas, not so many periods and not a quotation mark in sight).

If I had any complaints at all, it would be that Saramago has a bit of an obsession with female genitals, and he also went on at length about one of the main female characters, and how she worked as a high-class call girl prior to the blindness epidemic. That got old after a while. But alas it seems to be a trend among older male literary authors, to obsess about the sexualities of younger women, and anyway, Saramago wrote such powerful female characters that I am willing to overlook this. I mean, the hero of a story is a woman in her late 40s, and all of the most heroic acts were committed by women, while all but a couple of the men were rather ineffectual and cowardly. So I'll give Saramago a pass on the lechery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blindness.