Matt's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

May 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012, dystopic, childrens-ya
Read from May 07 to 09, 2012

Now I understand why this book is so popular. Praise enough since there are quite a few books whose popularity baffles me. With that said, I felt it was a little awkward at times, particularly the beginning. But I also feel like a lot of what I would generally have a problem with came down to it being geared towards young adults. I don't feel it's in the Harry Potter level of YA fiction, but it is fairly close. There were even parts of the story which were surprisingly moving.

I am having a hard time seeing where the story will go from here, other than gearing up for some sort of rebellion, so I'll no doubt read the second book in the series. I've also been instructed by a friend to read Battle Royale. This friend was glaring at me at the time, I don't think he appreciated me getting on to this particular bandwagon, nevertheless, I enjoyed the ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K. I have no idea why, but I am surprised you gave this book four stars.

Matt I was surprised I liked it as well.

I think what pushed it from three stars to four for me was the rather brief interaction between Katniss and Rue. If her only "in game" meaningful relationship had been with Peeta I don't think I'd have liked it as much.

message 3: by K. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K. Ah, Rue. The character that made classy, sane people lose their minds when they found out she is black. I guess I figured it would not be up your alley for the story alone. I hope you give the rest of the trilogy a try.

Have you read The Giver? Roth was heavily influenced by it, and it reminded me of you, somehow. And, of course, Battle Royale.

Matt That's weird, I assumed Rue was black. I think her description put her as being dark skinned? I also pictured Cinna as a toned down Lafayette.

I've got the other two books in the series on my kindle, so I will probably read the next one after I read the next Game of Thrones book.

I haven't read The Giver, but I'll add it and see if I can get a copy of it. Thanks. And yeah, Jason told me to read Battle Royale. He thinks the Hunger Games is a blatant rip off, and I told him to go read Lord of the Flies. It's not like kids killing kids is a new idea in literature.

message 5: by K. (new) - rated it 3 stars

K. Oh, shit. I just mentioned Roth, as in the author of Divergent, not Collins. Now I am getting my dystopian YA novels about children going against the grain mixed up. Oops.

I think a lot of people think the Hunger Games is a rip-off of Battle Royale. I certainly thought so, and would not be surprised if it were an influence. But people act--probably because the series is popular and people love to hate on popular things :p--as if Collins was the first person to do such a thing and get away with it. Et cetera.

Matt It's OK. I had no idea who the author of The Hunger Games was until you said that and I scrolled up. :p

To be honest, I just think there are very few truly original ideas left (if any). I guess I'll have a better idea when I read Battle Royale.