Rachel's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

Jan 05, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 2007

** spoiler alert ** Terrible, splendid book

Incredibly well-written book about two generations of women living through the events of modern-day Afghanistan. I say terrible because I couldn't get through this book without going to bed in tears, twice, and having to be held gently by my partner, who listened to my anger and helpless rage. I know that these characters are fiction, but believe that Husseini characterized the plight of some women living in the Middle East.

I highly recommend reading it but it was a terrible, sad, miserable way to be reminded how lucky we are to have been born, as women and as human beings in one of the wealthiest countries on earth with some of the most broad freedoms available to any peoples at any time in history.

I know I'll never read it again, and immediately gave it away to someone else, though I know I'll be haunted by the shades of the women who lived, particularly Miriam, who was told as a young girl by her mother that a woman's lot was to accept relentless, enduring agony and never ever to be allowed happiness.

Miriam's life played out just as her mother had warned her and she died on her knees in front of the foul line in Kabul's soccer stadium, jeered by crowds, shot by a sad-faced young man with an AK-47 for her crime of killing her husband, thereby saving her only and best friend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.