Whitaker's Reviews > Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Aug 20, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy-scifi, e-book, short-stories, 2010-read
Read in August, 2010

The two stars was a compromise. This book is a mixed bag of short stories and poems. In the Harry Potter books, there is a kind of sweet called Bertie Potts Every Flavour Jelly Beans. Sometimes you get something yummy like Raspberry Cream Chocolate or Honey Lemon Lime with a hint of Ginger or Vodka Tonic with Mentholated Cigarette Chaser. Other times you get Snot or Cat's Vomit. This book was like that. Unfortunately, this assortment contained more of the Warthog's Spyhillated Rectum or Seal Poop flavours than the Strawberry Champagne or Saffron and Sabayon Ice Cream types. Mr Gaiman, please stick to prose and avoid the poetry. And I do think it's unnecessarily mercenary to lump us with jottings of your drafts that didn't quite work. There are some gems here, but far far too few to justify a collection. Next time, could you wait till you have decent set before putting a collection out?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fragile Things.

01/31/2016 marked as: read

Chris I LOVE this review.

Whitaker Thanks, Chris! I saw that you also gave it two stars. :-D

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Latter day Gaiman makes me sad. :(

Chris Whitaker wrote: "Thanks, Chris! I saw that you also gave it two stars. :-D"

Yes, and you stated the reason ever so much better than I.

RandomAnthony Yes, I agree...this is a B side/outtakes collection...well done....

message 6: by Whitaker (last edited Aug 17, 2010 08:43PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Whitaker Thanks guys.

Ceridwen, yeah, he had some amazing stuff. Sandman was his bestest ever, but Coraline and Stardust were also very good. I'm ambivalent about the change that was made to the ending of Stardust in the movie although it was nice to have a happier ending.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 18, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

Whitaker Ceridwen wrote: "Did you ever see Beowulf? (Not that the failures of that film can be blamed on Gaiman, exactly.) Ouchie, my eyes!"

Oh god! Yes. Oww!

Yvonne Cullimore The Bertie Bott's Beans analogy hits the nail on the head completely. There were about four or five short stories in here that I really truly loved, everything else was kinda bleh. Many of them reminded me of cheesy ghost stories from girl scout camp, no lie. Some of them seemed like neat ideas that could've been expanded further, but weren't. I still love Neil though.

Whitaker Yvonne wrote: "The Bertie Bott's Beans analogy hits the nail on the head completely. There were about four or five short stories in here that I really truly loved, everything else was kinda bleh. Many of them rem..."

Hey, thanks, Yvonne. Yeah, Neil's still great, notwithstanding. :-)

message 11: by Todd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Todd Settimo I'm listening to this on audio and as I'm going through it I'm thinking, "Is it just me? Maybe I'm not listening closely enough. I must be missing something."

After reading this - among several other like reviews - I realize it's not me.

Essentially, I feel like I'm reading the author's sketchbook. Luckily, the audiobook is narrated by the author who can make the phonebook sound interesting.

message 12: by Whitaker (last edited Jun 28, 2011 11:58PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Whitaker Todd wrote: "I'm listening to this on audio and as I'm going through it I'm thinking, "Is it just me? Maybe I'm not listening closely enough. I must be missing something." After reading this - among several o..."

Thanks, Todd! And it's sooo not you. Gaiman pulled a fast one. ;-)