Bonnie's Reviews > Eat Pray Love: One Woman's Search For Everything

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Aug 16, 10

bookshelves: 2010, humor, italy, it-s-a-girl-thing, love-story, memoirs, lover-of-foods, new-york-city, non-fiction, relationship, travel, india
Recommended to Bonnie by: Perhaps, first, Maryann from DCC
Recommended for: Sharon, my fellow foodie
Read from August 13 to 15, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I had NO plans to ever read this book. It seemed to cliché of a book club book. And I hate subsidizing someone else's vacation by buying their book so they can galavant around the planet on my dime, for a second go at a sequel.

However, this was at the bookstore for $2 and so I had a curiosity of why it was so popular, but still after I bought it I tucked it away on a back shelf and the back back burner of my mind for another time. But now that the film is coming out and, let's be honest, who doesn't love a Julia Roberts film especially starring the it boy, Javier Bardem, so I decided to read it and read it I did. In three days. No record I know, but with my life at one of the busiest levels I've been buzzing at in a long time, three days was akin to maybe 23 seconds in regular read-a-book timezone.

The author definitely wailed one hundred and one too many times, and making it through the India section at times was almost counter productive to any good that the author had convinced you about the benefit of meditation. I thought I might just faint from 182 or whatever amount it was of the regurgitative chants. But, still, a pleasant read, plenty of laughs to be found, and I'm still amazed at the charmed life the author leads, or so it appeared.

I was disappointed in the lack of food discussed in both India and Indonesia. After the gluttony of pasta in Italy, one could only hope that the trend would continue through the other "i" countries. But no, it was the feast before the famine, and I'm still hungering for some real food out of two countries so well know for their cuisine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat Pray Love.