Mel's Reviews > The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Aug 25, 10

bookshelves: 1-books, couldn-t-finish, hated-with-all-of-my-hate, fantasy, bad-romance, masochistastic, adult
Recommended to Mel by: The masochist in me
Recommended for: Stephenie Meyer fangirls
Read from August 16 to 19, 2010

I really don't have a lot to say about this book, since I couldn't finish it. I tried to though. I desperately tried to. Even skipping chapters didn't help. Now mind you, I read a lot, and I never skip pages or chapters in books, because I don't dare to miss anything. And this was one of the two first books which made me do that, and that is never a good sign.

The Host was awfully written. The writing was full of prose rape and redundancy. For fucks sake Meyer, learn how to write English properly. You're 35 years old and me, a fucking teenager, can write in better English than you. The plot itself is pretty boring. Nothing was happening, which is what made it difficult for me to continue reading this book. And my friend who liked the Host was like "No no no keep reading! Here, go to this chapter, here stuff starts happening!" And so I took her word for it, and read. And read. And read. And what did I get for a plot? One whole fucking page (front and back) about deciding whether or not to sleep on the couch or the bed. I just closed the book, returned it to the library, and am never picking it back up again. This woman seriously needs an editor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Host.

08/16/2010 page 14
2.0% ""She breathed out heavily. A sigh." Oh yes, this is certainly grade A writing. -EXTREME sarcasm-"
08/17/2010 page 16
3.0% "REDUNDANT STATEMENTS ARE REDUNDANT. WHERE IS THIS WOMAN'S EDITOR???"
08/17/2010 page 74
12.0% "This is the most BORING book I have EVER read." 2 comments
08/18/2010 page 78
13.0% "I need to skip pages now. Because if I don't, I could die." 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lina (new) - rated it 1 star

Lina Oh God help you.

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel I picked this up from the library today, told my librarian I was in one of those moods of reading a bad book, and she and I spent a good ten minutes bitching about Twilight and Stephenie Meyer. I love my librarian lol.

This book is really boring so far. I doubt I will get far.

♔ Leah. What I really hated was the abuse that main character faced and yet she did not really give a fuck.

That is disgusting.

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel I never got to that part. I simply couldn't go on. I couldn't. Hell freaking no way in... hell.

♔ Leah. Mel wrote: "I never got to that part. I simply couldn't go on. I couldn't. Hell freaking no way in... hell."

Oh, you're lucky! I wanted to permanently erase my mind. :| It was sickening.

message 6: by Mel (last edited Feb 10, 2011 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel I HAD to stop when Mel and her boyfriend took more than a whole page to decide whether it's better for Mel's virginity for him to sleep on the couch or not. GUUUUUHHH!!! EDIT YOUR SHIT MEYER!!

Also WHY does the main character have to have the same name as me? T.T