Ron's Reviews > The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Aug 16, 10

bookshelves: boxing, crime, disturbing, family-saga, hackers, mental-health, sexual-abuse, sweden, suspense, thriller, translation, trilogy
Read in August, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The first thing that you need to understand is that this isn't really a novel in and of itself -- it's only the first half of a 1,000-page novel that concludes with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest -- and, taken together, that is one tremendously bloated and (increasingly) aggressively stupid book. I'm guessing that half the blame is Stieg Larsson's fundamental weaknesses as a writer, and the other half is the fault of editors who rushed his manuscripts to publication without giving them complete workovers.

Although the fact that the Big Boss is revealed to be the Hacker Girl's father at the same checkpoint along the narrative track that Darth Vader lets Luke Skywalker in on his secret in Empire Strikes Back did make me laugh and laugh, it's true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Played with Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kwei (new)

Kwei Quartey I probably won't ever get to the second in the trilogy, so the spoiler is no loss to me.