Josephine Beyke's Reviews > How to Mellify a Corpse: and Other Human Stories of Ancient Science and Superstition

How to Mellify a Corpse by Vicki León

Aug 16, 10

I'll be honest: this book does not belong on my "read" list. I only got to page three in How to Mellify a Corpse, and I can't see myself continuing it. I did receive it from the goodreads giveaways, however, so I feel I owe the website a review.

I did not give up on this book because of horrible writing or a boring plot; on the contrary, I found the book easy to read and great for the casual history buff. I can just tell that this book isn't for me. I must admit, I was a tad offended by Leon's introduction. While I understand her point that superstitions could have limited the scientific growth of the ancient world, as a Pagan I found her 'look at the stupid little savages who believed in divination and fate' (note: NOT an actual quote) attitude insulting. This may have tainted my opinion of this book but really, I just don't want to read it.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Mellify a Corpse.