Rex's Reviews > Street Magic

Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge

Aug 22, 10

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, series
Read from August 16 to 22, 2010 — I own a copy

I struggle rating this book. It was not absolutely horrible, but it was not that good either. I purchased it and the sequel because the cover looked interesting and I like urban fantasy a la Butcher, Hamilton (excluding her recent work), Harris, etc. Seldom do I start reading books that I actually wind up contemplating not finishing. Unfortunately, this book was one of those. I struggled through the first 80 pages or so and continually asked myself if I should not just set this book aside. I found it boring and unimaginative. Then once I hit the middle of the book, I found that I did not want to put it aside. It became interesting. Sadly, that did not last. The final 100 pages or so became boring to me again. I struggled with those last 100 pages. It took 4 days for me to finally finish the book because I would read one of the short chapters, and then set it aside for something else.

I’m not saying the book is bad, it had some interesting moments, but sometimes that is just not enough. The question I’m left with is if I want to read the sequel. I have it here, it’s ready to be picked up and read, but after reading the first book, I think I need to move on to something else and decide if this is a series and author I care to revisit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Street Magic.